This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think Half Life 3 will release exclusively for SteamOS?

#1ivanwind15Posted 9/24/2013 3:52:02 PM
Half Life 2 forced users to download Steam, back when it was wildly unpopular, to help increase its user base. Anyone else think they'll do the same with HL3? Could explain the long wait time between games.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#2DetectivPenguinPosted 9/24/2013 3:52:55 PM
ALL HAIL GABEN!
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#3Enigma149Posted 9/24/2013 3:54:12 PM
I think it'd be Linux-exclusive, not SteamOS-exclusive, if anything.

But I doubt it'll happen.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#4QuestofChosenPosted 9/24/2013 3:56:08 PM
Half-Life isn't that big of a series for Valve to pull something like this off. Add in Left for Dead 3 + Half-Life 3 as an exclusive. Then release the kraken with Team Fortress 3 and the next Counter Strike.
#5rusty12000Posted 9/24/2013 3:59:01 PM
I have full intention of getting steam OS. It is probably what will save PC gaming in the end long after Microsoft abandons PC for tablets. Honestly one of the few things that holds me back from going totally Linux is the lack of good gaming support. Steam OS could be the final step to get away from windows, i love windows 7 but the direction windows seems to be going with windows 8 and beyond looks bleak at best.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#6RetrowirePosted 9/24/2013 4:01:14 PM
ivanwind15 posted...
Half Life 2 forced users to download Steam, back when it was wildly unpopular, to help increase its user base. Anyone else think they'll do the same with HL3? Could explain the long wait time between games.

Good theory. But I doubt they'd want to narrow their market that vastly. Forcing people to install a program is easy, but forcing people to install an OS is not. Not everyone is computer savvy. Then again, from what I hear, Linux is really easy to install.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#7BendoHendoPosted 9/24/2013 4:03:36 PM
That would be the worst business move in history. Only 5% of their potential customers would actually buy it. Someone would eventually just crack a Windows version and people would just pirate that.

--
#8Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 4:04:17 PM
I really hope not.

Steam OS is not a desktop OS. It's for TVs. Releasing a game meant to be played on KB+M exclusively for it wouldn't make a lot of sense.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#9Davel23Posted 9/24/2013 4:32:33 PM
Valve doesn't need to release Half Life 3 at all. They make a ton of money via Steam. However, if they want their new "platform" to catch on it will need a killer app. Half Life 3 is definitely that. They can certainly afford to limit HL3's potential market to establish a userbase for SteamOS. I won't say HL3 will absolutely be a SteamOS exclusive, but it's a definite possibility.
---
Your mom's box.
#10mrCubePosted 9/24/2013 4:37:56 PM
That would absolutely never in a million years happen.

Honestly I kind of doubt we'll see any SteamOS exclusive games at all. Maybe a few small ones, but never a AAA title.
---
---