This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's getting harder to demonize Apple and Mac OSX as a gaming platform.

#1ChicagoTed_Posted 9/24/2013 4:27:36 PM
Here is IGN's recent Top 25 PC games of the last decade, in order from 1 to 25.

Half Life 2
Bioshock
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Company of Heroes
Portal 2
Civilization IV
Starcraft 2
FTL: Faster Than Light
Minecraft
Fallout 3
Team Fortress 2
League of Legends
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Homeworld 2
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Mass Effect 2
World of Warcraft
Left 4 Dead 2
Dota 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Crysis
Guild Wars 2
Torchlight 2
Total War: Shogun

Of this list, there are Mac ports of 14 of the games, which is more than a substantial amount. 7 of the top 10 games are supported by Mac, which are arguably the better games on this list. Mac OSX also can run the most popular MMORPG game of this generation (WoW) and the two most popular MOBAs (Dota and LoL). There are a few games on this list that are even awaiting Mac ports, and the majority of unsupported games hover around the tail end of the list.

How much more justification is required before the pointless OSX hate stops?
---
No zombie is safe from Chicago Ted.
#2capgamerPosted 9/24/2013 4:30:50 PM
The main problem I think people (including myself) have with OSX is that the operating system takes control away from you. It babies you.

For some people, this is completely fine. For people like me, who like to dig in and set up everything the way they like it... it sucks. It pisses me off.

So yeah, it's pointless to hate on it "as a gaming platform" but I will continue to hate on it "as an OS" because I hate being babied.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#3PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/24/2013 4:32:13 PM
ChicagoTed_ posted...
pointless OSX hate

14/25 of the most popular? That's not only a horrible sample size, it's a misleading demographic. It's not a stretch to say that the most popular games are more likely to be on Mac.
---
Fear is a leash.
#4Mike_HD2Posted 9/24/2013 4:33:05 PM
capgamer posted...
The main problem I think people (including myself) have with OSX is that the operating system takes control away from you. It babies you.

For some people, this is completely fine. For people like me, who like to dig in and set up everything the way they like it... it sucks. It pisses me off.

So yeah, it's pointless to hate on it "as a gaming platform" but I will continue to hate on it "as an OS" because I hate being babied.

OS X is easily as customisable as Windows is.
#5Orestes417Posted 9/24/2013 4:34:12 PM
No, OS X most certainly doesn't take control away from the admin. It just requires a different set of skills to access than Windows which most "power users" can't be bothered to learn before whining. The main "problem" with OS X is that Apple has no interest in pursuing a wider market segment for it than their own hardware.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#6mrCubePosted 9/24/2013 4:37:30 PM
capgamer posted...

Reading this, I honestly think you have never used OSX before. It's easily as customizable as Windows. Windows 8 is far more annoying in the way it tries to baby and take control away from the user.

Plus with OSX you get a full bash prompt which is awesome if you really are as into getting into the inner workings of your OS as you think you are.
---
---
#7capgamerPosted 9/24/2013 4:38:36 PM
All right, I'll admit I haven't used it much because it put me off so much initially. I'm sure you're right and there are way to customize it so that I would find it tolerable.

I just remember being really irritated at how ploddingly slow everything had to be, but I'll admit I haven't used it much because I had absolutely zero incentive to.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#8KeeperofthedarkPosted 9/24/2013 8:13:29 PM
I thought the reason OSX was hated as a gaming platform is because you can't upgrade Mac hardware.
#9SmudgieMuffinsPosted 9/24/2013 8:28:26 PM
I make jokes about apple products, but they really aren't that bad. The problem in my eyes is that they just aren't that good either. I only have a desire for Linux to be "the gaming OS" because Valve seems pretty confident that it would increase performance, and it gives some competition to Microsoft. Competition is always a good thing to have. But OSX doesn't really have any potential to offer something that windows doesn't already nor are there enough PC gamers itching to play on a mac for it to really create any competition.
#10SinisterSlayPosted 9/24/2013 8:48:27 PM
Does Apple let you update video drivers yet?

Also, can you upgrade the video card yourself?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence