This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is playing an FPS game on a laptop pretty much a no no?

#21HydroCannabinolPosted 9/24/2013 7:30:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#22HydroCannabinolPosted 9/24/2013 7:43:18 PM(edited)
Dieselzone32450 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
--looking to get a good cooling pad.

So you're going to take out your laptops CPU and re-apply the thermal paste?

lol

If your posts weren't so filled with incompetence and stupidity, perhaps you'd become a better poster. But since that isn't the case, I'm gonna break down some of your posts.

>1. You can plug a mouse into your Laptop rofl..

When...you know.. I already have a mouse that I can use. Unless you are telling me I can use my mouse to move, shoot, and do everything without the keyboard, then you entirely missed the point and it went right over your small joke of a brain.

>2. You can buy a million different cooling pads to keep your laptop cool if that's an issue.

"a million". Or you can you know, just suggest what brands or versions are considered the best . Simply saying "a million" is too broad.

>3. silly topic
Just reinforces what I've said about you.

So in other words? You're pretty useless, you're a terrible troll, or you're just bad at giving advice. Either or, I'd prefer if you'd not post in my topic again unless you get your head out of your ass.
I've played a lot of FPSes on my MacBook (BF3, Far Cry 3, CoD, etc.) and it does get hot in the palm rest and keyboard area but after a couple sessions you get used to it. If you find your laptop's keyboard is too hot you can always plug in an external keyboard as well.

Also why did you order Arctic Silver 5? That is a really old thermal paste and there are much better ones available now.

Been looking at reviews, and people either say MX4 , MX2 or AC5. Decided to just get AC5, along with the fact that it'll ship faster compared to the first two on Amazon. Of course, if you can convince me it's really that bad compared to the first too, then I might cancel it..

Are you seriously claiming that I'm somehow stupid or something? Do you realize what kind of topic you just posted?

Your opening post was literally, "I know that with games, you can plug in a PS3/360 controller

But keyboard+Mouse(from user input) is factually the best way to play an FPS game. From what I've heard and experienced , my laptop can get pretty hot when playing video games. though i haven't tried an FPS yet.

Has anyone here ever played FPS on your laptop? How did you ever deal with heat from your laptop? Is there a legitimate way to make it cool, even when playing games? Or did you stick to playing it on an actual PC?"

Why would anyone in their right mind assume you meant it's hard to play FPS on your laptop BECAUSE YOUR KEYBOARD IS HOT. That makes no sense. The main reason people would have trouble with any game is the mouse... if you use a normal mouse then gaming on a laptop should essentially be the same.

If you are having trouble finding cooling pads for your laptop then I am sorry. How am I stupid because YOU cannot do a simple search for any freakin' cooling pad on the market that fits your laptop? You show how useless you are.

You are also talking about getting thermal paste for your laptop... because it gets hot? This almost makes 0 sense because of all things to try, that would be last. (only last because you haven't stated anything about CPU temps.. you can easily check and verify that is the issue)

How ironic because you are clueless.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#23Dieselzone32450(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 8:10:04 PM(edited)
>Why would anyone in their right mind assume you meant it's hard to play FPS on your laptop BECAUSE YOUR KEYBOARD IS HOT.

Probably because when I mentioned that my laptop gets pretty hot when playing games , it's not hard to make the connection that the keyboard would get hot too, along with the laptop.

>How am I stupid because YOU cannot do a simple search for any freakin' cooling pad on the market

As with everything, there are good versions and bad versions of products. Simply saying a million is too broad, and it'd have been best to narrow it down to a specific brand that delivers quality work in regards to cooling pads. Hell, look at the thermal paste discussion. Despite it having over 5 stars on amazon, one of the guys in this thread still mentioned it was outdated and questioned me for getting one. So obviously user input can help too.

That said, I thankfully did find a cooling pad. U2, unless you're going to act smug and say "lol you got that garbage?!"

>You are also talking about getting thermal paste for your laptop... because it gets hot? This almost makes 0 sense because of all things to try, that would be last.

So let me get this straight
> You suggest to get a cooling pad

>Other users mention that they replaced their thermal paste and it helped

> You criticize me for even getting a new thermal paste

wat. Congratulations good sir, I actually took you a lot more seriously than I should have and if you were just trying to get a negative reaction out of me, you succeeded.

It's true though, I am clueless in regards to this stuff. But no one is going to be an expert in things that they first learn or hear about. Still, if I ever do become a bigger expert on this stuff, I truly do hope I don't have anywhere near your smug attitude when it comes to helping newbs/n00bs.
---
If you take the Sensui hype as 100% true then, 20% of Sensui =SSJ3 Goku. -Knowledge King
#24HydroCannabinolPosted 9/24/2013 8:15:52 PM
>Why would anyone in their right mind assume you meant it's hard to play FPS on your laptop BECAUSE YOUR KEYBOARD IS HOT.

Probably because when I mentioned that my laptop gets pretty hot when playing games , it's not hard to make the connection that the keyboard would get hot too, along with the laptop.

>How am I stupid because YOU cannot do a simple search for any freakin' cooling pad on the market

As with everything, there are good versions and bad versions of products. Simply saying a million is too broad, and it'd have been best to narrow it down to a specific brand that delivers quality work in regards to cooling pads. Hell, look at the thermal paste discussion. Despite it having over 5 stars on amazon, one of the guys in this thread still mentioned it was outdated and questioned me for getting one. So obviously user input can help too.

That said, I thankfully did find a cooling pad. U2, unless you're going to act smug and say "lol you got that garbage?!"

>You are also talking about getting thermal paste for your laptop... because it gets hot? This almost makes 0 sense because of all things to try, that would be last.

So let me get this straight
> You suggest to get a cooling pad

>Other users mention that they replaced their thermal paste and it helped

> You criticize me for even getting a new thermal paste

wat. Congratulations good sir, I actually took you a lot more seriously than I should have and if you were just trying to get a negative reaction out of me, you succeeded.

It's true though, I am clueless in regards to this stuff. But no one is going to be an expert in things that they first learn or hear about. Still, if I ever do become a bigger expert on this stuff, I truly do hope I don't have anywhere near your smug attitude when it comes to helping newbs/n00bs.

I tried to help you and then you call me stupid when you just admitted you don't know very much about computers...

You can literally check your CPU temps right now as we speak. Why order thermal paste and re-apply it if your CPU isn't even over-heating? Check the temps....

You're free to do what you want haha, I am sorry for being so rude to you. :(
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#25StormKMDPosted 9/24/2013 9:11:23 PM
Lighten up guys. Calm down a bit.

Tc already ordered the paste, he might as well reapply it to his lappy. The new paste truly did help with mine, and it made it sound like...not a tank that's rolling over cars. His laptop probably isn't overheating because he didn't say anything about it turning off from the heat. The paste will help either way.

Hydro was correct in saying that your topic and your post were kind of confusing. I also kind of assumed that you were probably using your touchpad for FPS's, but looked down and saw you were talking more about heat and stuff. Next time word your topics better, because the heat doesn't have much to do with FPS's.

As for applying the paste, look up videos on youtube on how to open your laptop, and take off the cpu fan/heatsink. Use a coffee filter and some isopropyl alcohol to take off the previous paste, and then apply a small amount of the new paste onto the cpu. Youtube can also help in this case if you're completely new.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#26And_Im_JavertPosted 9/24/2013 10:13:51 PM
This is kind of a weird topic... not sure what happened

http://britlitahoy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/master_and_commander.jpg
---
http://i.imgur.com/TBLXOk9.gif
http://i.imgur.com/KoWZGDV.png