This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark souls is 75% on steam!

#61AlleRacingPosted 9/24/2013 10:54:14 PM
It's also worth noting that there's almost no real punishment for dying. You have the opportunity to recollect your souls and humanity, so the only real downside is going hollow if you were already a human, and that's not really much of a downside.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#62Fenfen_Posted 9/24/2013 11:08:14 PM
Boge posted...
I still feel that the people that hate this game just don't know how to play it. It's not a button masher!! It's combat is beautiful. It's about timing, about countering, about using your environment to your advantage as well as changing up your tactics.

I think most players trying this have played games like God of War and Skyrim where you just run in and start pressing buttons. Try that here and you will die 90% of the time.

But once you understand how the game plays and you know you're opponent, it's not a hard game at all.

The number 1 cause of death in this game is lack of patience.

It's a game of patience and whits. Anyone without both of those will hate the game.

Bold part is what made me hate that game. Seriously, except for one or two battle, there is no difficulty in this game. Understood how to play the game during the tutorial, nearly played the whole game the same way. Cleared the game because some friends kept bugging me about it, but it was a really boring game. Battles are very slow and despite its huge bestiary, it fails to bring out different ways to play, it simply makes you have more patience in some parts.

Not sure why people love this game so much, but I think people love it only because it's punitive. Yes, this game is very punitive when your patience snaps. Also no, I didn't think it added to the game difficulty, but instead added to your play time when you just couldn't stand the patience anymore. It also forces the player to grind because of the amount of souls lost during some fights, and grinding is boring by definition.

On the other hand, I think that most people who hated this game aren't the people who had a hard time playing it and thought it was difficult. I think that most of the people who hated it are actually the people who understood how to play the game too fast and realizes that patience is everything. Personally, I think this game requires way too much patience. I played the game with a "shield when enemy attacks, counter when he's done" tactic, and most battle were like 70% waiting for the opponent to finish his attack. Even if it's not button mashing, making a player wait too much isn't a better mechanic and made me felt bored most of the time.
#63LenneValkiryePosted 9/24/2013 11:11:58 PM
Ah, Dark Souls. The game where all the challenge comes from one of the worst control schemes I have ever seen.
#64Chaos StrykerPosted 9/24/2013 11:29:58 PM
I don't get the complaint that Dark Souls has bad controls.

I never had an issue getting my character to do what I wanted him to do.
---
There are only two types of people in this world. People who finish what they start and
#65ZeraphLordSPosted 9/24/2013 11:35:46 PM
Chaos Stryker posted...
I don't get the complaint that Dark Souls has bad controls.

I never had an issue getting my character to do what I wanted him to do.

People don't like getting punished for sending commands without thinking, and then having to suffer the consequences, I guess.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#66singhellotakuPosted 9/25/2013 12:05:57 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
It makes me want to punch a hole in the wall every 5 minutes. I play games to have fun, not to get mad.

Legit enough for you?

Not really a problem with the game itself. You just don't like how it plays.

It was designed to be difficult, but it's not real difficulty, just tedium.

It's neither. It's unforgiving for the dumb people who play this as a hack n slash. Any decent gamer will have no trouble with Dark Souls.

until you fight the capra demon for the first time. NOT knowing what to do. But after that, smooth sailing!

Capra Demon is one of the easiest bosses.

No he's not, otherwise I agree with you, second time through I was able to beat everything but capra first try, capra was still a pain.
#67jZangetsu21Posted 9/25/2013 12:18:23 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
Disclaimer: PC version does not play well at all with KB&M, button prompts are literally ripped from 360 version, zero control over graphical settings, forced G4WL usage, etc.

You have been warned.

I just play with a controller, much better then. And I use DsFix to play the game. It won't get you banned if you just use the standard settings.

I usually prefer playing on consoles but once I got the DsFix and switched to controller, this game just owns on PC.
#68jZangetsu21Posted 9/25/2013 12:20:35 AM
DerPancake posted...
Well it has horrible combat. No one told me that my character was a farmer who had no combat experience whatsoever, because that what it feels like.

Nothing to do with the character, you don't have the experience. When I started playing this game I died all the time and yet, the game isn't unfair, it punishes you heavily for making mistakes. You have to analyse your enemies and find weak points.

Once I got into the mechanics, I couldn't put this game down, it's hard and punishing yes, but also very rewarding.
#69jZangetsu21Posted 9/25/2013 12:23:50 AM
akuma634 posted...
I don't get the obsessive fanboys who can't take any criticism for the game. It isn't for everyone and you can't keep pushing it on everyone like it's your religion. You like it and that's fine but there are people who are never going to get into it.

It's not about criticism, it's people who purely rip the game apart and tell everyone else it's s***t just because they don't like it. To each his own, I respect other people's preferences and tastes but I hate it when someone bashes a game and tells others to stay away from it purely because it's not for them.

I hate CoD but I won't tell people not to play it, if they want to, they can. And most of the criticism Dark Souls receives is not even fair.
#70WimpyWeaksaucePosted 9/25/2013 12:31:33 AM(edited)
akuma634 posted...
I don't get the obsessive fanboys who can't take any criticism for the game. It isn't for everyone and you can't keep pushing it on everyone like it's your religion. You like it and that's fine but there are people who are never going to get into it.

Sure, but we're allowed to make fun of people that don't like it just because they're bad at video games. There are some legitimate issues with the game, but lots of people basically just say "I AM A DUMB AND THIS GAEM DOES NOT FOR ME". Kinda like Darksyde Phil. Very few of his criticisms of the games he plays are legitimate. You can just chalk it up to him being an idiot.