The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CD Projekt RED claiming they've already maxed on the PS4/XB1 before release

#1BendoHendoPosted 9/24/2013 6:59:08 PM
http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/09/05/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-close-to-maxing-out-ps4-and-xbox-one-power-claims-cd-projekt-red

That's just pathetic. Console hardware is so antiquated that it can already be maxed out months before the console is even released.

Guess what that means? Dumbed down PC Games because consoles won't be able to keep up....so our gaming will suffer (in terms of not being at their full potential graphically and technologically)

--
#2steveboblarryPosted 9/24/2013 7:00:04 PM
The witcher 3 is still gonna be orgasmic
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#3ShebeskiiPosted 9/24/2013 7:12:54 PM(edited)
This is because of the architecture. Anyone who expected massive gains like the 360 and PS3 don't have common sense. Developers have been using X86 and current GPU tech for the entire gen with ports of varying ambition.

The next gen consoles are of no surprise architecturally. They'll max them out within a year. It'll be program to the metal or bust to get much more out of them. There's nothing to learn from the hardware itself. Improvements will come from novel programming efficiency that can be applied to graphics processing in general.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/24/2013 7:17:22 PM(edited)
Agree with the author

It's true they may have maxed out the systems' power with their current optimization, but give it a few years when they know the systems even better and I'm sure we'll see even more potential.

edit: This isn't to say that Sheb isn't also correct. It won't take as long to find out where the weaknesses really are and design around them. That said, games WILL be designed around those weaknesses and will likely allow the games to better utilize the hardware in other areas as a result.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5ShebeskiiPosted 9/24/2013 7:20:33 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Agree with the author

It's true they may have maxed out the systems' power with their current optimization, but give it a few years when they know the systems even better and I'm sure we'll see even more potential.

edit: This isn't to say that Sheb isn't also correct. It won't take as long to find out where the weaknesses really are and design around them. That said, game WILL be designed around those and will likely be better utilized in other areas as a result.

Yeah, totally. Programming a game to the strengths and weaknesses of the architecture, while also maintaining intended game design will produce some impressive results, but it won't be the PS3 again.

X86 is an old dog. Multithreading is the norm, and threading to more than 3-4 threads is nothing special. DX11 has been around for awhile and devs have had tons of time with it (and it's predecessor, DX10/10.1).

This gen is all about reduction in costs. Using APIs to reduce production cost is the name of the game here, and the APIs in questions are nothing radical, and neither is the underlying metal.

I think we'll see some slight improvements on the second title from each major dev, but it won't be drastic, and it'll pretty much stop there.

Art design will be a more prominent factor this time I think. I look forward to it.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#6lionheart5656Posted 9/24/2013 7:39:05 PM
Doesn't matter. They won't gimp the PC version because consoles can't handle something.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#7MasterDonGeroPosted 9/24/2013 7:51:31 PM
Optimization means console hardware will magically get more powerful!

Sure, developers may make better use of "optimization" as time goes on, but it won't be very significant at all.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#8Bazooka_PenguinPosted 9/24/2013 7:54:13 PM
This is probably going to be the case for most third party devs. The reason why games like Halo 4 and Uncharted and Killzone looked so good was because they had access to 1st party assistance from MS and Sony. This was probably the case for Epic and Gears of War as well, since they partnered with MS for the franchise.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#9CyricsServantPosted 9/24/2013 8:16:29 PM(edited)
MasterDonGero posted...
Optimization means console hardware will magically get more powerful!

Sure, developers may make better use of "optimization" as time goes on, but it won't be very significant at all.

Eh, we'll see. Honestly, I expect Naughty Dog's game will blow TW3 (PS4 console version) out of the water.
#10SpacewhizguyPosted 9/24/2013 8:20:46 PM
BendoHendo posted...
http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/09/05/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-close-to-maxing-out-ps4-and-xbox-one-power-claims-cd-projekt-red

That's just pathetic. Console hardware is so antiquated that it can already be maxed out months before the console is even released.

Guess what that means? Dumbed down PC Games because consoles won't be able to keep up....so our gaming will suffer (in terms of not being at their full potential graphically and technologically)

--

I think what's pathetic is how you're trying so hard to find a reason why consoles suck. You can easily "max" out even the highest end PCs today too (for example, toss in a basic real time ray tracer and even the fastest PCs will struggle).

Creating a game is all about compromises, even for PCs. Otherwise, developers would create games with near infinite amounts of antialiasing, resolutions with pixels the size of atoms, infinite draw distances, etc. etc.
---
What's a sig?