This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So did the Nvidia shield Flop?

#1steveboblarryPosted 9/24/2013 7:09:01 PM
I kinda wanted to get one somewhere down the line, but it needs to get a major price cut.
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#2DoubleJ9Posted 9/24/2013 7:10:25 PM
I never hear anyone talking about it. I want one, but not for the price. I tried winning one a few times from a local contest but didn't have any luck. It's amusing that all the people that won one were older women, probably winning them for their kids.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282
#3steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:13:59 PM
It looked cool but I dunno, I think Nvidia really misjudged the market
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#4ChromaticAngelPosted 9/24/2013 7:27:53 PM
I have one, I love it, what do you want to know about it I'll answer any questions.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#5steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:29:24 PM
IS it worth it? I know you can stream steam games,and you can run ps1 and the dreamcast emulator on it.
---
#6Orestes417Posted 9/24/2013 7:30:23 PM
Nvidia never expected it to sell massively. It was a proof of concept more than anything
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#7ChromaticAngelPosted 9/24/2013 7:39:55 PM
steveboblarry posted...
IS it worth it? I know you can stream steam games,and you can run ps1 and the dreamcast emulator on it.

it's really good for portable emulation. I know PSPs can also do it and are much cheaper BUT the emus on PSP run like ass, and only a few systems have emus on it. The Shield supports emus for virtually everything, including the PSP emulator, which runs PSP games really really well so long as they don't have compatibility problems like Jeanne D'arc. Haven't tried the Dreamcast or PS1 emu and can't tell you anything about them. But NES, SNES, Master System/Mega Drive, GBC, GBA, PSP, all work fantastic. There are also emus for MSX, PCE(Turbografix-16), Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket, and Sega Saturn. I couldn't get any of those working albiet I didn't even try PCE and NGP. The Saturn one works but it's so slow it's unplayable. And those are just all the free EMUs. If you're willing to pay, the DS emu is fantastic (although I didn't buy it, but I did play the demo and its incredible, I just can't justify spending money on an emu), and a few others like Atari 2600 and so on.

It streams Steam games if and only if you have a nVidia GPU of GTX 650 or better (Titan counts). It'll also Stream non Steam games that you add to your Steam library so long as the Steam Overlay works in that game, so, like, I can play Final Fantasy 14 in bed on a handheld, although I usually do not do this because the text is really hard to read on the Shield. It streams pretty well, but I recommend turning down the resolution to eliminate lag. You can access Steam community from within the Shield itself just like you were using Big Picture.

As for the big question... "Is it worth it?" that really depends on how tight your finances are. If you live paycheck to paycheck, I cannot recommend this thing in good faith. If you have money to burn, it's great, and I take it with me wherever I go. I have dozens of games on it already.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#8steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:44:52 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
steveboblarry posted...

it's really good for portable emulation. I know PSPs can also do it and are much cheaper BUT the emus on PSP run like ass, and only a few systems have emus on it. The Shield supports emus for virtually everything, including the PSP emulator, which runs PSP games really really well so long as they don't have compatibility problems like Jeanne D'arc. Haven't tried the Dreamcast or PS1 emu and can't tell you anything about them. But NES, SNES, Master System/Mega Drive, GBC, GBA, PSP, all work fantastic. There are also emus for MSX, PCE(Turbografix-16), Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket, and Sega Saturn. I couldn't get any of those working albiet I didn't even try PCE and NGP. The Saturn one works but it's so slow it's unplayable. And those are just all the free EMUs. If you're willing to pay, the DS emu is fantastic (although I didn't buy it, but I did play the demo and its incredible, I just can't justify spending money on an emu), and a few others like Atari 2600 and so on.

It streams Steam games if and only if you have a nVidia GPU of GTX 650 or better (Titan counts). It'll also Stream non Steam games that you add to your Steam library so long as the Steam Overlay works in that game, so, like, I can play Final Fantasy 14 in bed on a handheld, although I usually do not do this because the text is really hard to read on the Shield. It streams pretty well, but I recommend turning down the resolution to eliminate lag. You can access Steam community from within the Shield itself just like you were using Big Picture.

As for the big question... "Is it worth it?" that really depends on how tight your finances are. If you live paycheck to paycheck, I cannot recommend this thing in good faith. If you have money to burn, it's great, and I take it with me wherever I go. I have dozens of games on it already.

Hmmm sounds good, I was just on the fence about it. I was thinking about getting a vita. So I was wondering if the shield was a better choice.
---
#9thatfool12GsPosted 9/24/2013 7:46:15 PM
How is the "stream PC to shield" gaming?
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#10GarhinderPosted 9/24/2013 7:50:43 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
steveboblarry posted...

So, you could say that it's a sort of handheld Ouya? In the sense that it's perfect for emulators. I could see myself getting some device to use for massive SNES/PSX/PS2 emulation. What emulators have you tried in it?