This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to get my friend to buy dark souls, but he thinks it's "bad".

#31ElDudorinoPosted 9/25/2013 4:55:44 AM
My God, how many times were you planning to say "Scrub" in one post? I can only re-start that song in my head so many times.

I think many of the complaints about the "artificial difficulty" would fall by the wayside if the game wasn't so freaking SLOW! That's actually the main reason why I couldn't play it. I stumbled my way through the first area and part of the second area and I just plain couldn't take how ponderous your character is and how slowly the game plays. And I'm somebody who can spend hours with strategy games and RPGs! In an action game, it's not acceptable to me that it takes my character three minutes to walk 100 meters and that when I roll, I slow-motion dive in a direction and can't do anything else until the slow animation is finished. The potion complaint would be along similar lines.

Somebody tried to very scientifically explain to me in another topic how the game isn't clunky or slow at all, so I posted a YouTube video of the beginning of the game which shows the main character doing things like taking forever to work his way down a short hallway and staggering for a huge period of time after swinging his broken sword near a wall. That same poster then explained that of COURSE it would be slow since it was a new character, not built up yet for speed, and that the person shooting the video made the mistake of wearing armor. The mistake. Of wearing. Armor. Which the game STARTS you in. Really.

I have no patience for that. I'm not offended by people liking the game, because people can like what they want and I probably like plenty of things that they don't. But why try to force somebody to like it? It's not even a multiplayer game so it's not like you're recruiting somebody who can play with you. If somebody doesn't want to play it, they have a lot of valid reasons.
#32ElDudorinoPosted 9/25/2013 5:02:37 AM
But for the record, nobody really complains about "artificial difficulty" in games that aren't clunky and don't have situations where you're intended to suffer a surprise-death the first time and then memorize for next time. Devil May Cry 1 and 3 are both hard-as-nails when you first pick them up and they're very, very difficult on the hardest difficulty settings but if you play smart, quickly learn and exploit enemy weaknesses, and master the weapons and movement, you can beat everything on your first playthrough just by staying on your toes and playing smart. I don't think anybody accuses those games of having artificial difficulty even though they're truly difficult.
#33thatfool12GsPosted 9/25/2013 5:33:11 AM
Get him in contact with GwynsSonSolaire. I knew after reading his thread that the only choice I could make to allow me to be part of the Master Race was to buy the game.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#341618dudePosted 9/25/2013 7:23:30 AM
ElDudorino posted...
But for the record, nobody really complains about "artificial difficulty" in games that aren't clunky and don't have situations where you're intended to suffer a surprise-death the first time and then memorize for next time. Devil May Cry 1 and 3 are both hard-as-nails when you first pick them up and they're very, very difficult on the hardest difficulty settings but if you play smart, quickly learn and exploit enemy weaknesses, and master the weapons and movement, you can beat everything on your first playthrough just by staying on your toes and playing smart. I don't think anybody accuses those games of having artificial difficulty even though they're truly difficult.

Devil May Cry 3 I don't think it was that hard, but holy crap, Devil May Cry 1 was unbelievable. I was very noob when I played so I should try again one of these days. I did beat the game, but only on normal, I guess.

Demon's/Dark souls difficult are OK. I honestly don't think any of them are hard, just annoying some times. It certainly punish you for little mistakes, but I rarely die and I'm not even a good player. Heck, I'm on my second playthrough and decided to not level up my character just to spice the difficult a little bit and so far, the game still kinda easy (or at least, not hard). I'm on my way to artorias. Maybe he will change that, but let's see.
#35SlaynPosted 9/25/2013 7:27:48 AM
Dark/Demon Souls can have difficult combat if you do it the "correct" way. If you break the game with equipment, power leveling, or even just going heavy magic.... I generally have always gone with melee builds, no over powered equipment, and light magic use. Game was decently difficult, but only had major problems with one boss. He was just in a very small room and I couldn't roll effectively and I haven't raged at a single player game that hard in probably a decade.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#36arleasPosted 9/25/2013 7:31:56 AM
This is the kind of stuff that annoys me. A friend will say "Hey, try this thing I like because I like it and therefore you should like it too!" and maybe I try it and maybe I don't feel like trying it, but my "friend" in this case won't give up being a douche because he thinks that if I don't like stuff exactly the way he likes stuff then obviously I'm just hating on it for no good reason. This doesn't turn out good no matter what.

If I liked the thing he likes then he's encouraged to shove something else on me... if I don't like it, then he complains loudly that I never like anything (completely forgetting the time I did like what he suggested) and that he should just quit trying... only he never does.

If your friend isn't interested in Dark souls, then good for him for having some sense of taste on his own. If you really want him to try the game, go to his house and play it in front of him and let him see how much "fun" it is... maybe offer to let him try it himself... but if you're shoving it under his nose and insisting all that's going to do is make it seem bad even if he might normally have liked it.

TL;DR
Don't be a douchenozzle... Respect your friend's wishes.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#37Fade2black001Posted 9/25/2013 8:14:01 AM
Not to mention the game kills your PC.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#38steveboblarryPosted 9/25/2013 7:49:50 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
I liked it because like demon souls it was influenced by berserk

God damn berserk is so good. lol Well the manga anyway, never been a fan of any of the anime adaptations. To bad the author may or may not be on permanent hiatus though which means it may never have a proper conclusion.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!! what is this you speak of Kentaro miura put berserk on hiatus. If thats true that is the biggest force
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#39spud_almightyPosted 9/25/2013 8:19:47 PM
I agree it's not a great game. It's all based on hype. It's a bad sequel to a great game. Demon Souls was more unique and had better mechanics than this thing.
#40DaedalusExPosted 9/25/2013 9:22:21 PM
Gynthaeres posted...
The controls in the game were pretty poor as well, with a handful of minor annoying things. Like, too often, when I'd try to dodge out of the way, I'd mash the button and end up double-rolling.

What? You feel the game has poor controls because it did what you told it to? If you don't want your character to roll more than once maybe don't hit the roll button more than once? Just a thought.

Sounds like you find consequences annoying in general, lucky for you 99% of modern games don't have them!