This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need Help With PC Build

#1IzicialPosted 9/25/2013 7:47:09 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ is what I have so far.

I can salvage my two 500GB drives from my old computer but I can't take anything else from it.

I plan to do gaming, CAD, and video editing on this computer so it needs to be decently powerful.

Its been quite some time since I've built computers. I've heard bad things about SLI so I don't think I want to trek into that. I'm not entirely sure what kind of power supply to get but I figured that was one of the last things that you would pick.

Is 1600k ram a good speed for DDR3?? I know it seems to be the most common but I don't know if the faster ram is worth the cost.

Also a big concern is the PC case because my case is quite old and small and I don't see it working for these newer and more powerful parts.

I figured an I7 would be the way to go because of hyper threading and virtual cores. Aside that it seems like it will last a long time.

Graphics card is also an issue because I hear a new set was coming out soon but I think this PC is going to die in a month or so and I'd like it to be up and running before it dies.

Any help would be appreciated :)
#2SlaynPosted 9/25/2013 7:51:40 AM
Your build is pretty solid, I wouldn't change much else. An upgrade to i7 might be worth it specifically because of the work you will be doing, but I cannot give you an exact performance increase number. If you want to spend the extra money, go for it ( I would ).
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3Izicial(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 7:54:18 AM
Slayn posted...
Your build is pretty solid, I wouldn't change much else. An upgrade to i7 might be worth it specifically because of the work you will be doing, but I cannot give you an exact performance increase number. If you want to spend the extra money, go for it ( I would ).

What kind of Graphics card do you think I should get?? I hear a lot about this 770 Nvidia card but I also hear about the Titan a lot but is it worth the $300 extra??
#4NicodimusPosted 9/25/2013 7:57:27 AM
Izicial posted...
Slayn posted...

What kind of Graphics card do you think I should get?? I hear a lot about this 770 Nvidia card but I also hear about the Titan a lot but is it worth the $300 extra??

Prices:

770 2GB: $400
770 4GB: $450
Titan: $1000
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#5Izicial(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 8:00:13 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Izicial posted...
Slayn posted...

Prices:

How significant is the 2GB ram difference?? Because that price is plenty within my budget if it will be worthwhile.
#6NicodimusPosted 9/25/2013 8:12:26 AM
Izicial posted...
Nicodimus posted...
Izicial posted...
Slayn posted...

Prices:

How significant is the 2GB ram difference?? Because that price is plenty within my budget if it will be worthwhile.

If you game on a 1440p/1600p monitor or on multiple monitors, you should get the 4GB version.

If you game on a single 1080p or lower monitor, the 2GB is probably good enough.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#7gastamanPosted 9/25/2013 9:57:10 AM
Izicial posted...

Slayn posted...
Your build is pretty solid, I wouldn't change much else.

???
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#8Izicial(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 6:30:05 PM
gastaman posted...
Izicial posted...

Slayn posted...

???

Ya I was trying to figure out how no ram and power supply was a good build lol.

I'm going to get the 4GB version because I game on 2-3 monitors at once.

Does anyone know about this case?? Or is the case not a super important factor as long as everything fits in?
#9Izicial(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 6:34:31 PM
Izicial posted...
gastaman posted...
Izicial posted...

Slayn posted...

???

Ya I was trying to figure out how no ram and power supply was a good build lol.

I'm going to get the 4GB version because I game on 2-3 monitors at once.

Does anyone know about this case?? Or is the case not a super important factor as long as everything fits in?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HsxS

I think I put up the wrong link BTW. Sorry.