This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Possible to run NVIDIA Surround + fourth monitor?

#1spaldPosted 9/25/2013 9:10:55 AM
My current setup is 3 monitors extended with a fourth mirroring one of them (it's in another room). Is it possible to setup Surround on 3 of the monitors and keep the fourth mirroring what's on one of them?
#2SScorpioPosted 9/25/2013 9:47:41 AM
Enabling surround will make your three monitors appear as one single monitor to the system. You couldn't be able to mirror this to a single monitor. Surround does support using three monitors and then having a four monitor as a accessory monitor you aren't gaming on, it's normally used for IM clients, system monitors, etc.

Nvidia does support having four separate monitors, I'm not sure if you can have two of them be mirrored as I've never tried it.
#3wildog2006Posted 9/25/2013 10:32:50 AM(edited)
SScorpio posted...
Enabling surround will make your three monitors appear as one single monitor to the system. You couldn't be able to mirror this to a single monitor. Surround does support using three monitors and then having a four monitor as a accessory monitor you aren't gaming on, it's normally used for IM clients, system monitors, etc.

Nvidia does support having four separate monitors, I'm not sure if you can have two of them be mirrored as I've never tried it.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#1

wrong

(edit, to be specific) The Accessory Display, the forth monitor, does not have to be identical to the three Surround displays, but does require one of the three possible connectors.

---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#4spald(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 12:47:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. And the link. I read through it and if I'm reading it right, my only option is to use the 4th monitor as an extension. Not the most ideal as I'll have to manually shift focused windows around when I switch to the 4th monitor. So I guess it's not possible to to mirror a region of the Surround?
#5SScorpioPosted 9/25/2013 3:10:14 PM
wildog2006 posted...
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#1

wrong

(edit, to be specific) The Accessory Display, the forth monitor, does not have to be identical to the three Surround displays, but does require one of the three possible connectors.

What exactly is wrong? He asked if he could run surround while mirroring what appears on one of the surround monitors to the accessory monitor. I told him that the surround monitors are seen as a single giant display to the OS and that he wouldn't be able to mirror what was appearing on just one of them to a fourth monitor.
#6SScorpioPosted 9/25/2013 3:16:45 PM
spald posted...
Thanks for the feedback guys. And the link. I read through it and if I'm reading it right, my only option is to use the 4th monitor as an extension. Not the most ideal as I'll have to manually shift focused windows around when I switch to the 4th monitor. So I guess it's not possible to to mirror a region of the Surround?

There might be a way with some third party software, but not with the default drivers. The easiest solution would be to get an Powered HDMI Splitter. This will send a signal from one output on your video card to two different monitors. The image sent to both monitors would be the same.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B4O7NS/

I haven't used that splitter but it has good reviews and is less than $20.