This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having trouble connecting a 360 controller to a wireless adapter.

#1Gnarly_BPosted 9/25/2013 11:00:43 AM
This is the adapter,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D1CE75I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've followed the instructions on the Microsoft website (downloaded and installed the drivers) but the controller won't sync with the adapter. I press the button on the controller and the circle goes round but when I press the button on the adapter itself the lights on the controller start flashing, as though it recognises that the adapter is there but it can't actually connect to it. Controller is fully charged.

Any advice?
---
Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
#2MasterDonGeroPosted 9/25/2013 11:22:29 AM
You downloaded drivers for the receiver or the controller? Because the receiver has its drivers on a disk.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#3sonicteam2k1Posted 9/25/2013 11:26:49 AM
Here's how to set it up:

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Select the "Unknown Device"
3. Choose to update the driver under the Driver tab
4. Choose the 'Browse for a driver' (not the exact words but close)
5. Tell it that you want to pick from the list of device drivers
6. Choose the "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class" option
7. Pick the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver
8. Enjoy
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#4Davel23Posted 9/25/2013 11:35:28 AM
Which button on the controller are you pushing?
---
Your mom's box.
#5Ch3wyPosted 9/25/2013 11:36:34 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
You downloaded drivers for the receiver or the controller? Because the receiver has its drivers on a disk.

This. Try removing the drivers you installed and use the disk.

You downloaded the drivers from Microsoft's website. This isn't a Microsoft Product.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 9/25/2013 11:38:16 AM
MasterDonGero posted...

won't matter. if he's using Windows 7 64 bit and that is a generic 3rd party receiver, the drivers that come with that controller will not work. He needs to make the device ingest the actual windows drivers, which comes with windows 7 or he can download them, then force through the method I posted.

so that disc he has is useless. I've had this same issue before.
---
See The Game Collection
#7Gnarly_B(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 11:39:59 AM
The controller is connected but Steam big picture mode doesn't respond to the controller.
---
#8zerodefectPosted 9/25/2013 11:41:55 AM
Agreed, do NOT use the drivers on the disc. Force the official driver like the poster above me mentioned or else it will not work. The drivers on the disc are horrible, I don't know anyone that successfully got it working with the supplied drivers. Works perfectly with the official drivers though!
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#9sonicteam2k1Posted 9/25/2013 11:45:19 AM
zerodefect posted...
Agreed, do NOT use the drivers on the disc. Force the official driver like the poster above me mentioned or else it will not work. The drivers on the disc are horrible, I don't know anyone that successfully got it working with the supplied drivers. Works perfectly with the official drivers though!

I've had them work with 32 bit windows before with no problem, before I knew about forcing the official drivers. but yeah they're terribad.
---
See The Game Collection
#10Gnarly_B(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 11:51:42 AM
What should the controller be doing on the computer? The mouse isn't moving or anything, on Steam Big Picture the mouse doesn't move and the D-Pad doesn't change the selection on the menu.
---