This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the SteamBox might NOT succeed.

#1PuppetKutaroPosted 9/25/2013 12:02:21 PM
Last time a company tried to enter the console market with different boxes made by different companies, it failed horribly. Sure the 3DO had mostly bad games, but it was also way too expensive for the general consumer, keeping it from selling.

Steam already has some very good games on it, so that aspect won't be a problem, but the pricing might be. If it's too high, I think most gamers would rather invest that money on a brand new PC instead, or buy a PS4 or X1 if they don't have that kind of money.

One other thing to keep in mind is that when different companies make these Steam Boxes, some will be better than others. How is the public going to find out which is the best, or should I say the most RELIABLE one out there? Many early adapters might end up disappointed they chose one over the other, resulting in them never buying one again if the experience wasn't satisfying enough.

And one final thought: how long will your Steam Box be sufficient enough to play the latest games? If you need to upgrade to a better one every couple of years, like you have to do with a PC, the general console consumer won't even bother.
---
PSN ID: PuppetKutaro
#2occonoPosted 9/25/2013 12:09:39 PM
I'm worried.
Are they going to be expensive as a premade PC, or as a console?
If the latter, that means subsiding the costs with games sales. So, steam sales won't be the same.
#3TropicMoon10Posted 9/25/2013 12:16:07 PM
I'm sure a company like Valve is fully aware that they need to be affordable to be any kind of competition for the other consoles.

They'll probably make some sort of deal with hardware companies to buy parts in bulk for less money.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#4BogePosted 9/25/2013 3:15:29 PM
Great points, TC. I agree. It could be a problem.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.