This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens to Origin is the Steambox is a success?

#1BogePosted 9/25/2013 2:18:17 PM
I was just thinking, I'm sure Valve isn't going to allow Origin on their SteamOS. So, if it's a success, will EA have to abandon Origin and go through Steam so they can sell more games?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2daemon_danPosted 9/25/2013 2:19:42 PM
I imagine since the Steambox will just be using a modified Linux distro, if EA puts out games that have Linux compatibility, then it will work just fine
---
Bekness is more amazing than any game ever <3
#3Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 2:22:54 PM
daemon_dan posted...
I imagine since the Steambox will just be using a modified Linux distro, if EA puts out games that have Linux compatibility, then it will work just fine

But users will have to install Origin. The whole point of Steambox is to target those that don't want to deal with that kind of setup for their gaming.
---
#4daemon_danPosted 9/25/2013 2:24:45 PM
Deal with what? Installing a program? Meh. Well, it's not like Origin is doing exceptionally well anyway, but I can't see this being the nail in EA's Digital Distribution coffin
---
Bekness is more amazing than any game ever <3
#5Digital StormPosted 9/25/2013 2:28:04 PM
Nothing?
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6Orestes417Posted 9/25/2013 2:29:26 PM(edited)
No. the whole point of steambox is a life raft independent of Windows. It's utterly irrelevant to Origin's fate one way or the other. What you need to be asking yourself is what happens to your precious gaming PCs if Gaben is right?

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#7Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 2:30:21 PM
Orestes417 posted...
No. the whole point of steambox is a life raft independent of Windows. It's utterly irrelevant to Origin's fate one way or the other. What you need to be asking yourself is what happens to your precious gaming PCs if Gaben is right?

I'm more worried what will happen to mouse controls. There isn't anything on par with it yet.
---
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 9/25/2013 2:31:38 PM
steam "OS".

i imagine they can just install origins on it if support is allowed of course.

other than that just install windows on it.

lack of choice isn't exactly a problem here.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#9steveboblarryPosted 9/25/2013 2:32:32 PM
I wouldn't say its Irrelevant considering EA wants it to take steams place as the dominate DRM service. only time will tell though EA needs to step up their game when it comes to the Origin client. Its still in in its infancy though.
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#10ShubPosted 9/25/2013 2:39:03 PM
Boge posted...
I'm more worried what will happen to mouse controls. There isn't anything on par with it yet.

I don't see a concern here. SteamOS-based hardware will still be regular PCs. Plug in a mouse and you're good to go. You're not forced to connect the PC to your TV in your living room, and I can't imagine that developers will stop supporting mouse controls.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.