This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can they make a Steambox and sell it for cheaper than building your own PC?

#1SpringerPosted 9/25/2013 6:05:22 PM
If not, then whats the point? I will build my own PC and then use Steam OS on it, right?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/25/2013 6:07:05 PM
ITT: Everything should be created specifically for me
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3ConkerPosted 9/25/2013 6:08:32 PM
Yes, of course they can. Think of the consoles that are usually stated to be sold at a loss when they first launch. It's all about the software and eco-system for Valve to profit. But even so, with economies of scale, it'll likely not cost very much to build these systems.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#4XjphPosted 9/25/2013 6:11:19 PM
Even without selling at a loss there is economy of scale. It's cheaper per unit to buy 10,000 CPUs than just one.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#5ThunderPotatoPosted 9/25/2013 6:24:21 PM
Xjph posted...
Even without selling at a loss there is economy of scale. It's cheaper per unit to buy 10,000 CPUs than just one.

Someone on GameFAQs gets it. This could possibly be the greatest deal for those too timid to give PC gaming a try, if Valve plays their cards right.
---
PS4 has blast processing.
#6PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/25/2013 6:51:39 PM
Not only that, but since the Steam Machine will primarily run Steam games, that can sell at razor-thin profit margins and still make a killing on games.
---
Fear is a leash.
#7TheMisfitPosted 9/25/2013 6:51:49 PM
ThunderPotato posted...
Xjph posted...

Someone on GameFAQs gets it. This could possibly be the greatest deal for those too timid to give PC gaming a try, if Valve plays their cards right.

Agreed. Why do you think the PS4 infrastructure is so cheap?...mass quantity production. Steambox could be a really smart move if done correctly. And Valve is a veteran with the PC market, so I am guessing they know what they are doing. Everyone saying they already have a powerful PC, Valve is not making the Steambox for you then.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#8turbovirginPosted 9/25/2013 7:00:14 PM
I understand econmies of scale but there PC manufacturers that have been doing this for decades, why haven't any of them released a cheap gaming PC? What's so special about valve thats gonna allow them release better hardware cheaper than other companies?
---
Posted using GameFlux
#9viserdesPosted 9/25/2013 7:16:40 PM
turbovirgin posted...
I understand econmies of scale but there PC manufacturers that have been doing this for decades, why haven't any of them released a cheap gaming PC? What's so special about valve thats gonna allow them release better hardware cheaper than other companies?

Maybe they can charge yearly fee for Steam (like Xbox Live) so they can afford to sell their hardware at lower price.

Please don't
#10R u s hPosted 9/25/2013 7:19:01 PM
turbovirgin posted...

The software.