This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can they make a Steambox and sell it for cheaper than building your own PC?

#11Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 9/25/2013 7:25:44 PM
R u s h posted...
turbovirgin posted...
I understand econmies of scale but there PC manufacturers that have been doing this for decades, why haven't any of them released a cheap gaming PC? What's so special about valve thats gonna allow them release better hardware cheaper than other companies?

The software.

Yup. It's exactly what console companies do--sell systems at a loss, and then make that money up by selling software.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#12analogmanPosted 9/25/2013 8:26:18 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
ITT: Everything should be created specifically for me

---
check my quote :DD
#13ConkerPosted 9/26/2013 5:27:48 AM
Not trying to be a douche, but why did the guy that posted a few minutes after me trying to explain it wasn't even selling at a loss but Economies of Scale, which I brought up, get quoted as if he was the first person to mention it?

Just seemed strange that he replied to me about not being about selling at a loss, as I said, with stating it's economies of scale, which I also said...and then everyone posts that's exactly it...
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#14TheMisfitPosted 9/26/2013 5:36:45 AM
Conker posted...
Not trying to be a douche, but why did the guy that posted a few minutes after me trying to explain it wasn't even selling at a loss but Economies of Scale, which I brought up, get quoted as if he was the first person to mention it?

Just seemed strange that he replied to me about not being about selling at a loss, as I said, with stating it's economies of scale, which I also said...and then everyone posts that's exactly it...

Because you are from or are associated with Detroit.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#15HypnoCooshPosted 9/26/2013 5:58:25 AM
turbovirgin posted...
I understand econmies of scale but there PC manufacturers that have been doing this for decades, why haven't any of them released a cheap gaming PC? What's so special about valve thats gonna allow them release better hardware cheaper than other companies?

SteamOS.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#16Orestes417Posted 9/26/2013 6:25:50 AM
turbovirgin posted...

The fact they aren't publicly traded comes to mind. Makes it easier to make decisions that aren't in the direct interest of making a profit. I wouldn't bet on them doing a super low cost box though, as it would alienate potential partners in the OEM world.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#17ConkerPosted 9/26/2013 6:34:49 AM
TheMisfit posted...
Conker posted...

Because you are from or are associated with Detroit.

Grew up in northern Michigan and live in Hawaii. Nice try.
---
#18Darkcloud20Posted 9/26/2013 6:35:17 AM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
Not only that, but since the Steam Machine will primarily run Steam games, that can sell at razor-thin profit margins and still make a killing on games.

Yeah only if people use it for that and don't just install a different OS on it.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#19ConkerPosted 9/26/2013 6:55:48 AM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
Not only that, but since the Steam Machine will primarily run Steam games, that can sell at razor-thin profit margins and still make a killing on games.

Yeah only if people use it for that and don't just install a different OS on it.

I'm not really sure what your point is. Even if they install a different OS, they're still likely to buy games on Steam, thus making profit for Valve. Plus, the likely-hood of an average user that doesn't know any better or doesn't want to be inconvenienced is greater than those that would bother installing another OS, so they would likely stick with the out-of-box experience of a Steam Machine.
---
#20nameless0101Posted 9/26/2013 8:56:47 AM
Conker posted...
Darkcloud20 posted...
Pyrotechnixxx posted...

I'm not really sure what your point is. Even if they install a different OS, they're still likely to buy games on Steam, thus making profit for Valve. Plus, the likely-hood of an average user that doesn't know any better or doesn't want to be inconvenienced is greater than those that would bother installing another OS, so they would likely stick with the out-of-box experience of a Steam Machine.

I agree, for every user that just puts another OS on they will likely have gained a bunch that don't and just buy Steam games. It shouldn't take that many Steam game sales from each user to make up for the cost of a Steambox if they are selling them at cost so this shouldn't be a problem.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool