This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam believes consoles are superior to PC, thus the creation of SteamOS.

#11DawnshadowPosted 9/25/2013 10:15:04 PM
I actually tried Linux nearly a decade ago (it was when Ubuntu first became really popular.) I mostly stopped using it because I got tired of rebooting to play games; I actually liked a lot of the aspects of how the OS worked to be better and easier than Windows. I never had to delve into the command line, and there has been a decade of development since then. I'm actually looking forward to setting my system up to dual boot this Steam OS, and may even get a Steam Machine depending on what specs and the price of buying one vs. upgrading my current system (which is showing its age.)

In particular, I found installing and using programs to be much easier than they were in Windows at the time; most programs save the most obscure were installed using a catalog that actually works a lot like Steam (but free because Linux has a ton of open source stuff.) You find the program you want, you click, it installs and is automatically updated.

I really think that if SteamOS works the way it sounds like it should, it will be a best of both worlds thing. Consoles have advantages-- mainly, you plug them in and they work. If these systems function in the same manner, it would honestly be awesome.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#12PokenubPosted 9/25/2013 10:22:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#13EStar999Posted 9/25/2013 10:26:04 PM
Pokenub posted...
Or, Valve believes that they can expand their market, to offer great deals to not only pc users, but people who prefer the ease of consoles. Also, OP is a moron.

Don't encourage OP.
#14knightimex(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 10:26:28 PM
Pokenub posted...
Or, Valve believes that they can expand their market, to offer great deals to not only pc users, but people who prefer the ease of consoles. Also, OP is a moron.

Thanks for repeating what I just said.
lol

derp much?
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#15KotomineKireiPosted 9/25/2013 10:28:10 PM
knightimex posted...
PC has always been powerful, but give it the magic of closed console abilities, all of the sudden your PC is instantly upgraded to super saiyan pc thanks to the magic of console powers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3v19KbRvs

At least that's the impression I am getting.
Which sounds godly

It won't have the capability to destroy my house, town, city, state, planet and galaxy, beat people up and eat all of the food in a city in a few hours will it?

Because, as cool as that sounds in theory, that would be bad...
---
"My heart is trembling! My heat is about to burn out! The beat of my blood is carving!
SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE!"