This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam box is... What?

#1locky723Posted 9/26/2013 5:24:22 AM
Just low expense PC's with SteamOS on them? I'm kind of confused on what the point of it is...
#2steveboblarryPosted 9/26/2013 5:26:27 AM
This is what the Steam box is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Payt_Eo90
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#3SlaynPosted 9/26/2013 5:26:52 AM
Did you read the information on the website?

Good then you know as much as anyone else.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#4locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:29:02 AM
Basically it seems like Valve is making low-high end pc's. Yay?
#5wizardmonPosted 9/26/2013 5:30:47 AM
It's a steam branded PC running Steam OS that can stream games from other systems.

What this means
* You can install SteamOS on your gaming PC and use that for free if you want.
* You can just install SteamOS on your Home Theater PC and stream games from your Windows or Mac gaming PC to your living room
* You can buy a Steam branded PC with SteamOS on it if you don't have a Home Theater PC.
* With SteamOS you can buy and play movies and music on your living room TV.

Essentially, It's a program designed to bring Steam gaming to your Home Theater/Living room.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:32:23 AM
wizardmon posted...
It's a steam branded PC running Steam OS that can stream games from other systems.

What this means
* You can just install SteamOS on your Home Theater PC and stream games from your Windows or Mac gaming PC to your living room
* You can buy a Steam branded PC with SteamOS on it if you don't have a Home Theater PC.

Essentially, It's a program designed to bring Steam gaming to your Home Theater/Living room.

Well thats good. Though im curious as to how many people would want something like this.
#7Maiken100Posted 9/26/2013 5:35:51 AM
locky723 posted...
wizardmon posted...

What this means

Well thats good. Though im curious as to how many people would want something like this.

Well console users for one.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs
#8wizardmonPosted 9/26/2013 5:46:51 AM(edited)
Maiken100 posted...
locky723 posted...

Well console users for one.

This is good for anyone who wants to play PC games on their living room TV.

Before in the past, if you wanted to play PC games on the living room TV you'd bring your largish PC gaming machine out to the living room and hook it up to the TV, or if you had a Home Theater PC it'd need to be larger and stronger (and therefore more loud and power hungry) to power the games you wanted to play.

Now, with SteamOS you can leave the PC gaming machine in your gaming room (since most people play at a desk, usually in a bedroom), and just have a tiny slimline SteamOS box hooked up to your TV, and it doesn't have to be loud and power hungry since the games can be run off of the PC gaming machine across the house (provided they are on the same Intranet together).

Edit: Also, if you didn't have a PC gaming machine and Steam account with games on it already, then you can get one of the more powerful Steam Machines to run the games straight off that device - bringing PC gaming to the masses in a easy to swallow console like environment.

As someone who's actually dragged my desktop out and hooked it up to a TV multiple times in the past, this is a wonderful thing for me.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)