This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alpha - early access

#11BogePosted 9/26/2013 2:11:32 PM
I think it's a great idea, but most of the time the games that are available for early access are crappy games by crappy developers that have no idea what they're doing. So the games aren't worth free.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#12GarquillPosted 9/26/2013 3:05:10 PM
I'm only interested in them if it's one of those infinitely replayable games
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#13Incendia_IntusPosted 9/26/2013 3:08:50 PM
Rather wait for a (supposed to be) polished title. I rarely even try anything pre-release that's free, no way I'm paying for it.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#14KillerTrufflePosted 9/26/2013 3:10:04 PM
"Nope, extremely ever worth it." _ English often?

Also, lacking "sometimes" option. Total fail poll.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15CircleOfManiasPosted 9/26/2013 4:21:47 PM(edited)
R i c k posted...
Pre-order, Kickstarter, early access... More and more devs these days are trying to get you to part with your money before they even release their game. Pre-orders aren't too bad since the product is pretty much finished but the other two are terrible. I never spend money on a company that doesn't have a finished product. Games take way too long to produce to just assume they will produce anything at all or that it won't be a buggy mess or completely fail to deliver on it's promises. No, thank you.

So let's say a small startup wants to make a game. They aren't associated with a publisher, and the project is too ambitious to do part time. They don't have the capital to do it full time themselves. People want the game, as evidenced by a successful Kickstarter. Should the game just not exist? Should an entire artistic medium be dominated by the monolithic corporations that have the capital to produce it?
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#16KillerTrufflePosted 9/26/2013 4:20:51 PM
Speaking of Kickstarter... I can't wait to get home and snag a copy of Planetary Annihilation. Beta release is today, and I was a beta supporter. Curious to see how it's coming.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17cody4783Posted 9/26/2013 4:27:12 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
"Nope, extremely ever worth it." _ English often?
Also, lacking "sometimes" option. Total fail poll.

This...

I'm not so for it, but the first option doesn't...make sense.

Some Alphas have bad or not really worth it for have fast production proceeds compared to the state of current product. Personal experience: Cube World. Feels like a fraction of a game and gets old quick. Not to mention feels unbalanced for solo play).

Others have paid off. See: Minecraft. Started with something kind of basic, and to this day still adds new features and improves constantly. Amazing $13 purchase or whatever it was.

And some start fairly fleshed out or feel good from the get-go. Something like say, Kerbal Space Program.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#18TropicMoon10Posted 9/26/2013 4:39:42 PM
Eh I was indifferent until I tried out Driftopia. That game is utterly unplayable at the moment.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#19R i c kPosted 9/26/2013 4:55:37 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
So let's say a small startup wants to make a game. They aren't associated with a publisher, and the project is too ambitious to do part time. They don't have the capital to do it full time themselves. People want the game, as evidenced by a successful Kickstarter. Should the game just not exist? Should an entire artistic medium be dominated by the monolithic corporations that have the capital to produce it?

You're naive if you don't realize video games are a for-profit venture. There are many ways to start up your own business and get your personal ambitions to see the light of day without taking handouts. People have been starting up businesses long before Kickstarter came around. Kickstarter is for devs that don't want to take on the inherent risks of supporting their own projects. They'd rather you take that risk without giving you a return on your investment if the risk pays off. So, no, I don't think games should exist if they rely on the public bearing the risk. If a fledgling business wants to take on investors they should be prepared to give out returns on those investments.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D