This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft watching what Valve does with "great interest"

#1steveboblarryPosted 9/26/2013 6:54:05 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-watching-what-valve-does-with-great-interest-6414994

All eyes are on valve after that stunning announcement yesterday, Maybe Microsoft is worried
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/26/2013 6:56:06 AM
They just watching as Valve is praised for doing what MS tried to do and got flamed for.

I sort of feel sorry for MS. They tried to be innovative but their own market, stupid people, were naturally too stupid to see the advantages.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ThePCElitistPosted 9/26/2013 6:59:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
They just watching as Valve is praised for doing what MS tried to do and got flamed for.

I sort of feel sorry for MS. They tried to be innovative but their own market, stupid people, were naturally too stupid to see the advantages.

Except their lack of explanation and arrogance made people rebel against their ideas. Their " Deal with it" attitude killed off a lot of interest in consumers.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#4steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 7:00:13 AM
I don't really feel sorry for Microsoft, If your a PC gamer you should have pretty tolerable internet since your main way to get games will most likely be steam. If everyone in the country had great internet and was able to connect with there consoles then what Microsoft would have wanted to do wouldn't of been to bad.
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#5steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 7:01:07 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Except their lack of explanation and arrogance made people rebel against their ideas. Their " Deal with it" attitude killed off a lot of interest in consumers.

This also. after what don matrick said it really turned alot of people off
---
#6Ch3wyPosted 9/26/2013 7:02:02 AM
Steam also doesn't have the 24/hr online check which was a pretty big deal for some people.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7HypnoCooshPosted 9/26/2013 7:02:35 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

Not the markets fault. MS tried to change and were not transparent about those changes. Made the end user feel like they were being dishonest.

Big difference.

MS tried to change what the xbox brand was.

Valve is not change but expanding to a new audience. This is why the PC world is scratching their head because they can't understand how this applies to them.

So in a sense Valve will get the same backlash from their current core base much like MS did. Why do you think Valve is releasing very little info? Because they want to see how the market reacts and give the haters and as you put it "stupid people" time to relax and maybe see what they are trying to do regardless if it pertains to them or not.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#8HypnoCooshPosted 9/26/2013 7:05:04 AM
And with Steam you already need internet so that pre-req is already baked in to the concept...
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#9SinisterSlayPosted 9/26/2013 7:06:34 AM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes, MS was it's usual broken marketing self.

MS has the worst marketing. They somehow always managed to generate negative hype, never dispel rumors, and always managed to piss off their customers before a product is even released.

We can use recent examples.
Windows 8, they showed off the metro interface and asked a bunch of people about facebook and twitter. These aren't the people that spend 1000 dollars on a laptop.
Then the Surface, they had entire ads of people dancing around snapping the keyboards on.
I don't think I ever saw a Zune commercial.
I remember Windows XP was a guy flying around behind his desk that just left us all going "wtf?"
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 7:08:14 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
steveboblarry posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes, MS was it's usually deft marketing self.

MS has the worst marketing. They somehow always managed to generate negative hype, never dispel rumors, and always managed to piss off their customers before a product is even released.

We can use recent examples.
Windows 8, they showed off the metro interface and asked a bunch of people about facebook and twitter. These aren't the people that spend 1000 dollars on a laptop.
Then the Surface, they had entire ads of people dancing around snapping the keyboards on.
I don't think I ever saw a Zune commercial.
I remember Windows XP was a guy flying around behind his desk that just left us all going "wtf?"

Well I guess now they are just gonna have to pay for it, Essentially Valve just keeps innovating just like when they started steam way back when. Microsoft is just hardheaded they think they know better then the consumer. however There's no telling what could happen This steam machine might be a bust. but for now the PC gaming future looks bright.
---