This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft watching what Valve does with "great interest"

#31CC RicersPosted 9/26/2013 7:51:52 AM
Microsoft's biggest products have always been their software. Their operating systems and suite of home and business products that run on them have been their money makers, and they did not get serious into hardware until the Xbox. With Steve Ballmer came more into the picture as CEO, they decided to move gradually into internet services.

Also Microsoft projects seem to be in a tug-of-war in politics with the major guys in charge of them. People there have said that there were lots of politics, and a lot of their programming product teams were not co-operating with each other. It shows.

I'm an amateur developer who used XNA for most gaming projects I did. XNA got bastardized every time the marketing guys wanted to push something different on us. They added Zune support, wrote a bunch of stuff about programming for it, and then try to get you excited to all go out and buy Zune HDs.

Then they quickly pulled the Zunes from the market and killed support for them in XNA. Way to pull the rug out from everyone. Anyone who spent time, money, and effort trying to do a good ZuneHD game got burned badly. Then when Windows Phone 7 came out, they changed up the API again, and the 360 suffered for it.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#32Orestes417Posted 9/26/2013 7:54:57 AM
MS doesn't seem to comprehend it's own core business, which is frankly terrifying. It's like a large scale Peter Principle test case.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#33GoldninjaPosted 9/26/2013 9:28:22 AM
I remember MS saying something about Windows being more gamer friendly, but I see little difference between 7 and 8 on that front (aside from angry birds and the like from their store). Maybe they should just focus on their OS and let someone else take the reigns for the gaming side of things.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#34BogePosted 9/26/2013 9:35:25 AM
Microsoft is probably trying to come up with a way to either sue valve to shut down what they're doing, or to collect royalties somehow.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#35ShadowThaReaperPosted 9/26/2013 10:09:54 AM
Are Xbots still trying to push the narrative that Microsoft and Valve are comparable in what they were doing?

I don't understand how a group of people can be so ignorant as to ignore online DRM for a console. Online DRM that's more intrusive than Steam itself, when it's not being buggy.
#36Binba442Posted 9/26/2013 10:39:12 AM
Xbox Pre-180 One: 24 Hour check in. DRM to the roof. Closed system

Steam Machines: Monthly check in (If it works like Steam), DRM to the roof, but we're used to it. Open System

Steam machines are better in every way.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#37steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 10:53:41 AM
Boge posted...
Microsoft is probably trying to come up with a way to either sue valve to shut down what they're doing, or to collect royalties somehow.

Lol probably
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#38FenriswolfPosted 9/26/2013 1:02:06 PM
I love how you Steam fanboys blindly attack MS yet ignore Valve's nonsense over the years. For instance, Newell once promised that they will develop technology to eliminate lag altogether, and became vaporware and was called out by John Carmack. Furthermore, Steam only got where it is because PC gamers are willing to bend over and let it become a monopoly, and it's not without its blunders either like Greenlight and now developing an OS that pretty much has less than 1% support. Even Xbox One sounds better at this stage with exclusives like Dead Rising 3, the same cannot be said about Steambox.
---
Hello
#39steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 1:05:49 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
I love how you Steam fanboys blindly attack MS yet ignore Valve's nonsense over the years. For instance, Newell once promised that they will develop technology to eliminate lag altogether, and became vaporware and was called out by John Carmack. Furthermore, Steam only got where it is because PC gamers are willing to bend over and let it become a monopoly, and it's not without its blunders either like Greenlight and now developing an OS that pretty much has less than 1% support. Even Xbox One sounds better at this stage with exclusives like Dead Rising 3, the same cannot be said about Steambox.

Iam not really a fanboy. Every company fumbles and yes valve has fumbled before. I know when steam first started it was complete crap but they worked on it and it is a powerhouse and one of the reasons PC gaming is where it is today. Microsoft it seems like does not know what it wants to do with it self. To much of an internal power struggle going on.
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#40r0ge00Posted 9/26/2013 1:07:34 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
words

Nothing to see here people, move along. This guy hates Steam and loves Origin. He's not one of us.