This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

'Secret' 3G Intel Chip Gives Snoops Backdoor PC Access

#11Vindication123Posted 9/26/2013 10:08:32 AM
The point behind tin foil hats was to block out certain ranges of frequencies that disrupts on some level the brains electrical activity. Though the quality of materials and the state of mind of some people not be aligned properly to the issue....

News Flash: All mobile devices can be accessed by the government.
News Flash: Everything on the Internet is monitored by the government. It does not need to have access to your PC to see what you do, it just needs to split the connection on the lines so they can monitor all activity. That's something the NSA does, for example....
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
#12MonkeymagePosted 9/26/2013 10:19:05 AM
Advertised as a feature = secret
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#13KamenRiderBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 12:47:32 PM
The worry comes from the fact that even those the "vPro" tech is only on it's enterprise CPU's, if they decided to make it standard across all CPU's, and somebody leaks out or steals how to disable / hack through the built in back door, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

That's the real threat.

The real threat is companies intentionally building back doors to their tech.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#14Enigma149Posted 9/26/2013 12:57:33 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
The worry comes from the fact that even those the "vPro" tech is only on it's enterprise CPU's, if they decided to make it standard across all CPU's, and somebody leaks out or steals how to disable / hack through the built in back door, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

That's the real threat.

How do you suggest Intel is going to promote this as a standard across all CPUs?

That video you posted offered numerous reasons companies would want to adopt this. The vast majority of those would have no effect when it comes to consumers. Perhaps that ability to brick a stolen PC would be useful, but I highly doubt consumers would want to brick their own PC. Intel isn't going to add a feature to all their CPUs like this unless they have a good reason to.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#15KamenRiderBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:26:53 PM
Enigma149 posted...

That's the real threat.

How do you suggest Intel is going to promote this as a standard across all CPUs?

That video you posted offered numerous reasons companies would want to adopt this. The vast majority of those would have no effect when it comes to consumers. Perhaps that ability to brick a stolen PC would be useful, but I highly doubt consumers would want to brick their own PC. Intel isn't going to add a feature to all their CPUs like this unless they have a good reason to.

They could potentially promote this as a new feature to distinguish itself from AMD, a new standard feature that "makes their CPU's safer" then their competitor.

Question is, will the consumers buy this type of CPU vs ones without the feature
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#16Enigma149Posted 9/26/2013 5:28:58 PM
Enigma149 posted...

That's the real threat.

They could potentially promote this as a new feature to distinguish itself from AMD, a new standard feature that "makes their CPU's safer" then their competitor.

Question is, will the consumers buy this type of CPU vs ones without the feature

And eliminate one of the few excuses they have to charge enterprise users more than typical consumers? I don't think so.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#17KillerTrufflePosted 9/26/2013 5:58:46 PM
Wow... I wonder if Intel might be open to hiring me as a security consultant... I could put my degree to good use by teaching them how *not* to spill the beans on a secret. Step 1? Don't make a video that explicitly talks about and advertises it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23