This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

None of Steams announcements are for PC gamers

#1Gojak_v3Posted 9/26/2013 11:44:48 AM
I'm really not seeing what's in these announcements for PC gamers. I don't have a problem playing at my desk. If I did want to play on my TV I would just move my PC out there before I would spend $300-$400 on a streaming console.

Is Valve following the path of many a PC companies before them and turning their back on us?
#2vidalmorazaPosted 9/26/2013 11:47:26 AM
Im the only one that has HDMI on my computer? I have the posibility of using my computer on my HDTV since 5-6 years ago

I have a big desk, so I have a 20" monitor for my computer, and a 40" LED HDTV for my consoles, but for some games, I just put the HDMI from my computer to the HDTV, and I play there

I understand people that have just the computer in a room and the TV in other...
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#3AsellusPosted 9/26/2013 11:50:49 AM
No reason why the 'light' Steambox should cost 300-400. No reason they shouldn't be able to hit ~$100 which isn't a bad pitch for a device that lets you play games from your main system in any room in your house.

Im the only one that has HDMI on my computer? I have the posibility of using my computer on my HDTV since 5-6 years ago

Not everyone keeps their pc in their living room.
#4sirtonnePosted 9/26/2013 11:51:38 AM
Gojak_v3 posted...
....$300-$400 on a streaming console.

Is Valve following the path of many a PC companies before them and turning their back on us?

More like double that.

And have you been paying attention to the tech scene lately? PCs are going out of fashion, sales are in decline, people don't need them anymore because they have smartphones and tablets. Valve are clearly trying to tap into the console market before the PC market dries up.
#5youngfossilPosted 9/26/2013 12:04:33 PM
sirtonne posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...

More like double that.

And have you been paying attention to the tech scene lately? PCs are going out of fashion, sales are in decline, people don't need them anymore because they have smartphones and tablets. Valve are clearly trying to tap into the console market before the PC market dries up.

business still use them
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#6NicodimusPosted 9/26/2013 12:14:15 PM(edited)
I don't understand how a device as anemic as a tablet could replace a desktop PC. I even own an Android tablet. You know what it's good for? Media consumption, retro game emulation, and maybe some light web browsing if you don't mind the annoyance of the touchscreen and small screen. That's it. It's something to fool around with while you're away from home.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#7AsellusPosted 9/26/2013 12:10:53 PM

Yet the high-end is actually booming, nVidia posted record profits in the last year. No one interested in a gaming pc is seriously consider a smartphone or tablet as an alternative.
#8sirtonnePosted 9/26/2013 12:11:38 PM
youngfossil posted...
sirtonne posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...

More like double that.

business still use them

I'm aware. Businesses still use photocopiers too, doesn't mean they have a future outside the workplace.
#9matu90rkPosted 9/26/2013 12:14:41 PM
sirtonne posted...
youngfossil posted...
sirtonne posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...

More like double that.

business still use them

I'm aware. Businesses still use photocopiers too, doesn't mean they have a future outside the workplace.

PC game sales have hit record numbers too and are expected to surpass console games sales by 2014. People just stopped buying pre-built PCs.
#10sirtonnePosted 9/26/2013 12:15:22 PM
Nicodimus posted...
I don't understand how a device as anemic as a tablet could replace a desktop PC. I even own an Android tablet. You know what it's good for? Media consumption, retro game emulation, and maybe some light web browsing if you don't mind the annoyance of the touchscreen. That's it. It's something to fool around with while you're away from home.

Smartphones today are an order of magnitude better than desktop PCs where when I was a kid. It's only logical to see the progression here is leading us away from big bulky desktop PCs to portable devices.