This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this a good TV for PC gaming?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 9/26/2013 3:26:42 PM
I want a good TV to use for PC gaming and console gaming (for exclusives) but one big and small enough for my computer desk. There's lots of best buy tvs on sale right now and picked this one up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/24-widescreen-flat-panel-led-multifunction-hdtv-monitor/5471091.p?id=1218650525659&skuId=5471091&st=m2452d&cp=1&lp=1#tab=reviews

Is this good? Im not very knowledgable about specifications. I read the 5ms is okay as you cany see difference between 1ms and 5ms
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#2JockoPosted 9/26/2013 8:12:22 PM
Looks decent to me. It's 1080p, HDMI, VGA, component, composite inputs, TV tuner, built in speakers and LED for a long life backlight. 60hz refresh rate and 5ms response time is good enough. That's a decent price for a brick and mortar store. Not that Best Buy customers carry much credit with their reviews it's good to see a lot of positive reviews so you probably aren't getting a lemon.

LG is a solid brand. I think you'll be happy with it so I say go for it.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#3TimePharaohPosted 9/26/2013 8:28:03 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
TV

No
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#4DerPancakePosted 9/26/2013 8:29:45 PM
Its a TV/Monitor, its fine.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#5ElDudorinoPosted 9/27/2013 7:14:56 AM
Jocko posted...
Looks decent to me. It's 1080p, HDMI, VGA, component, composite inputs, TV tuner, built in speakers and LED for a long life backlight. 60hz refresh rate and 5ms response time is good enough. That's a decent price for a brick and mortar store. Not that Best Buy customers carry much credit with their reviews it's good to see a lot of positive reviews so you probably aren't getting a lemon.

LG is a solid brand. I think you'll be happy with it so I say go for it.

I want to correct a few things here. First, backlight life. Backlight life should rank pretty low as a concern whether you're thinking of plasmas, CCFL-LCDs or LED-LCDs or even something else altogether (CRT?). I mean, a common rated lifespan for a CCFL-LCD is 60,000 hours, which translates to 7 years of being on nonstop without ever being turned off. Assuming you game or do other stuff on your computer for 12 hours a day, that's 14 years of life from the screen. If you're still using the same screen 14 years from now, maybe it won't be a bad idea to drop the future equivalent of $200 on a new one that will be way better.

Saying a 60Hz refresh rate is "good enough" is kind of funny because there's no possibility of finding anything lower. I mean, I completely AGREE that the minimum is good enough, but it's not something I'd use as a selling point. On this topic, please note that computer monitors higher than 60Hz will allow you to display higher framerates, but HDTVs that are "120Hz," "240Hz" or "600Hz" will NOT display more than 60FPS. It's kind of a scammy way of using the same term to mean different things, so don't fall for it.

Don't look at the advertised response time on ANY LCD, including LED-LCDs. This is a made-up, scam number. Don't be fooled. Different manufacturers use a different scale for measuring it because there's no adhered-to standard for measuring response times, so a "5ms" set could actually be faster than a competing "2ms" set and slower than a competing "8ms" set just based on the level of honesty that manufacturer applied. The same goes for Dynamic Contrast Ratio, which should be 100% ignored and not even considered in the least as it's complete fabrication.

Also don't buy by brand. Saying "Oh, LG's a good brand, so this should be safe!" is a great way to get burned. There are some pretty crummy screens out there from highly-regarded brands, and some pretty decent screens from no-name brands. For that reason, it's a good idea to research individual models by model number (NOT by series, because different models in the same series will also be different).

I don't know anything about this particular set other than what I saw in your link so I can't give you an informed opinion on it, but I do get the vibe that it's a mediocre display just from the generic Best Buy description... though that could be Best Buy's doing and not LG's.
#6ElDudorinoPosted 9/27/2013 7:17:40 AM
I should also point out that although Response Time is a scam number and should not be trusted, it also is not a major concern as long as you don't buy a complete piece-of-crap monitor. High response time used to be a big concern for LCDs because of ghosting/blurring. If you want an example of ghosting, go look at an old PSP screen with an object in motion and just check out the insane motion trail. This really does NOT affect the vast majority of modern TVs or monitors, at least not to a bothersome extent, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "real" response time of a screen (which isn't even advertised).

But anyway, if you read reviews on a screen before buying it, you'll be able to kinda know from other people's or professional reviewers' impressions whether a problem like that exists.