This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I could play all my games on Linux, I'd never use a different OS ever again.

#21TimePharaohPosted 9/26/2013 6:46:17 PM
Boge posted...
By the way, with SteamOS and the Steambox going with a linux based OS, are all of the games currently available on steam going to be linux compatible, or are a ton of them going to be unavailable on that?

lol
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#22ChetyrePosted 9/26/2013 6:47:38 PM
StormKMD posted...
Chetyre posted...
StormKMD posted...
JKatarn posted...
Chetyre posted...
Use a gaming virtual machine and you won't have to dual boot or use windows

Native support and performance are always preferable to a somewhat buggy/slow method like Wine or some VM.

This.

7.9 score for everything on my vm except processor at 7.6 or something. Playing tomb raider 2013 on ultra at ~50 fps with tressfx

What're your specs?

I7 3770(non-k, needed for vt-d), 32GB Ripjaws Z 1866 (computer is for virtualization of many things other than only gaming), Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#23GoldninjaPosted 9/26/2013 8:20:15 PM
I would have liked to stick to Linux, but it really needs to have a broader range of support. My sound card is pretty much wasted on it because there are no proper Linux drivers. I even tried a program someone referred me to and while it did improve it, it still paled in comparison. It's a shame, but I don't see it ever eclipsing Windows (unless MS seriously screws up).
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#24GarhinderPosted 9/26/2013 8:25:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
C# pretty much automatically handcuffs you to Microsoft, but as I said text editors + properly configured CLI > overengineered IDEs.

I've used both. Give me an IDE any time.

But then again, this is just personal preference. No absolute truth.
#25Orestes417Posted 9/26/2013 8:31:52 PM
Agreed, to an extent. I think we all can agree people who use stock notepad to code are out of their minds.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#26stmstrPosted 9/26/2013 8:54:51 PM
StormKMD posted...
Boge posted...
I probably would too. I don't do much on my PC but browse internet, play games, backup files, and sometimes write up some document. I'm sure I can do all that on Linux.

By the way, with SteamOS and the Steambox going with a linux based OS, are all of the games currently available on steam going to be linux compatible, or are a ton of them going to be unavailable on that?

Steam can't really make all the steam games compatible with Linux without the dev's permission, etc, etc. So I'd say most certainly no.

You never know. Valve has made a lot of money for a lot of developers. Saying "mind if we port your game to Linux?" doesn't seem like much of a big deal, provided they can handle it.
#27GoldninjaPosted 9/26/2013 9:11:16 PM
stmstr posted...
StormKMD posted...
Boge posted...
I probably would too. I don't do much on my PC but browse internet, play games, backup files, and sometimes write up some document. I'm sure I can do all that on Linux.

Steam can't really make all the steam games compatible with Linux without the dev's permission, etc, etc. So I'd say most certainly no.

You never know. Valve has made a lot of money for a lot of developers. Saying "mind if we port your game to Linux?" doesn't seem like much of a big deal, provided they can handle it.

Even if the devs agreed to let them do it, it would take forever for that to happen. The entire Steam library? They'd have to devote an entire team to that job alone.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#28darkstar4221Posted 9/26/2013 9:21:18 PM(edited)
Goldninja posted...
I would have liked to stick to Linux, but it really needs to have a broader range of support. My sound card is pretty much wasted on it because there are no proper Linux drivers. I even tried a program someone referred me to and while it did improve it, it still paled in comparison. It's a shame, but I don't see it ever eclipsing Windows (unless MS seriously screws up).

It's not just Linux that has poor hardware/software support compared to Windows, it's like that with every other operating system. That is why Microsoft is a monopoly, they are the only dominant firm in the PC desktop market, and I'm not talking about tablets, that's a different product.

You have to understand why Microsoft is a monopoly to understand why Linux or any other os won't eclipse Windows. Most likely consumers will have to use Windows for their gaming needs for a long time, unfortunately.
#29JudgmenlPosted 9/27/2013 1:43:31 AM
Aaaand nobody argued my point.
---
`1337_FF_GoD` - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://puu.sh/4AoGC.png
#30KaushadPosted 9/27/2013 6:03:42 AM
Laptop using elementaryOS (love it. no idea why, but it just feels so smooth). Other laptop on Slackware. Desktop on W8. I hate windows 8, but starcraft, and my other 50 odd games that I play don't run well on wine.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.