This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2nd gen i5 and 4GB ram vs 3rd gen i3 and 6GB ram?

#1RichardAdelmanPosted 9/26/2013 6:59:36 PM
Long story short, I need a new laptop.

I use my computer for work but don't play very demanding games so my old laptop with a 2nd gen i5, 4GB ram, and Intel HD 3000 graphics did everything I needed.

The main games I was playing before my laptop died were NBA 2k, TW Shogun 2, and Dead Space. It handled them all without any problems. I'm hoping to get Rome II when they get it patched up but the specs seem very similar to Shogun and configured to work with Intel graphics.

The new laptop I'm leaning towards is a 3rd gen i3, 6GB ram, and Intel HD 4000, along with a 32GB SSD thrown into the mix. The extra ram, SSD, and the fact that it's smaller and 50% lighter will be very beneficial to my everyday needs.

I'm saving for a trip and would prefer not spending anymore money than necessary for my less than demanding computer use but I'm worried about gaming.

How much of a difference should I expect in performance?
---
PSN: iamtheboogieman
#2RichardAdelman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 7:50:07 PM
Pretty please. Don't make me keep trying to get work done on this 7" tablet with keyboard. It hurts my eyes.
---
#3Pale HorsemanPosted 9/26/2013 7:58:36 PM
What kind of GPU does the 2nd gen i5 laptop have?
An intel HD4000, I do not believe will cut it on running Rome 2.
I personally have a i7 with 6b of ram and a Intel HD4000 and lets just say Shogun 2 doesn't seem to like my laptop.
---
BreadGolem: We never killed Native Americans, they got sick!
#4RichardAdelman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 8:26:29 PM(edited)
I believe it's an i5-2450M so 2.5ghz. The one I'm looking at is an i3-3227U 1.9 ghz I believe.

That's weird that you have problems with Shogun 2. My i5 handled it fine. Even in large battles I don't recall having difficulties.

EDIT: I misread your question. My old i5 laptop only had Intel HD 3000.

---