This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know much about building a PC, got some question please help!

#1TheChosen0ne-Posted 9/27/2013 12:35:36 AM
I bought a PC from ecollegepc 1 yr and 9 months ago. I chose the parts and they helped me build it and it seems like I need to start upgrading now. Here are some questions I got. Keep in mind I don't know anything about anything related to computer parts and how to build one.

-What happens if I take parts out and replace them with upgrades? Would it automatically install itself or would I need to do something?

-Would I need to get a bigger case?

-If I somehow f*** things up would the things on my computer be erased?

-How long would it take do everything?

-Buy the parts now or wait until black friday, Christmas, etc. for the sales?

-Best sites to buy parts from?

-My goal is to max out BF4 and future games, which parts should I upgrade and what should I buy? (Look below)

-Anything else I need to know?

Here's my current build. Copy and pasted it from an invoice they sent me

3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K 6MB Cache Quad-Core

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm CPU

Fan/Heatsink

GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 (Intel Z68, HDMI, DVI, 2xPCI-E,

6xSATA, 4xDDR3)

8GB (4GBx2) Corsair Vengeance 12800 DDR3 1600Mhz

Lifetime Warranty<br>

500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA3 (Major

Brand)<br>

24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/Nero<br>

1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI

(Major Brand)<br>

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit<br>

CoolerMaster Black HAF 912 (3 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans,

Audio/USB/eSATA<br>

600watt Corsair CMPSU-600CX V2<br>

Onboard LAN included<br>

Wireless B/G/N PCI Adapter 300Mbps<br>

Onboard Sound included<br>

Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans<br>

3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty<br>
#2SlaynPosted 9/27/2013 1:11:27 AM
Just get a video card. It is simple to replace. Open the case, take out the old one ( with a screwdriver ), put in new one, boot up, install drivers.

Depends on what you mean by "max out". 1080p, ultra settings, 60 fps? Maybe $300 video card? More or less.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 1:36:42 AM
Slayn posted...
Just get a video card. It is simple to replace. Open the case, take out the old one ( with a screwdriver ), put in new one, boot up, install drivers.

Depends on what you mean by "max out". 1080p, ultra settings, 60 fps? Maybe $300 video card? More or less.

Would I need a new power supply, fan, etc. for a more powerful video card? How about using two video cards? Also if I got a SSD drive and want to use it as the main thing or whatever its called when using my computer how would that work? I would want to play games and do other stuff with the SSD so everything would be faster. Would I need to install steam and download every game again on SSD or is there a way to transfer all that?
#4TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 4:53:26 AM
bump
#5Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 9/27/2013 5:17:15 AM
Your PSU is good so you can just upgrade the video card without worrying about anything. Whats your budget like? All you really need to upgrade is the video card, after that your set for the next gen
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#6TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:26:15 AM
Budget is $500 or less for a video card. How long can that last me if I want max settings in any video game?
#7Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 9/27/2013 6:13:21 AM
Strongest video card under $500 right now is the 7970GHz/GTX770.

You should wait about a month or two because new more powerful video cards are releasing and there are going to be price drops on the current cards out.

If you cant wait then a 7970 is about $300 and it's over twice the strength of your current card
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#8TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 11:39:34 PM
Tony_Biggie_Pun posted...
Strongest video card under $500 right now is the 7970GHz/GTX770.

You should wait about a month or two because new more powerful video cards are releasing and there are going to be price drops on the current cards out.

If you cant wait then a 7970 is about $300 and it's over twice the strength of your current card

How long would those two video cards last until I can't max games out any more? And how powerful will those new cards be? Will they be the same price? $500 or less?