This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone explain what SteamOS/Steam Machine is?

#1TheBiggerOnePosted 9/27/2013 9:54:20 AM
It sounds like Valve's rendition of a living room console, but it's not being treated as such. So what is it?
#2Ch3wyPosted 9/27/2013 9:54:46 AM
It's a version of Linux that you can control with a gamepad.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3urtvPosted 9/27/2013 9:56:32 AM
a console
#4SythisTaruPosted 9/27/2013 9:58:37 AM
A joke.
#5SpazH3dPosted 9/27/2013 9:59:42 AM
It's a way of life, son.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6KillerTrufflePosted 9/27/2013 9:59:51 AM
You can think of it almost as a console/PC hybrid.

It's an OS designed for gaming and designed to work well with just a controller - much like consoles have.

It allows you to play Linux-based games natively right on SteamOS, or stream non-Linux games from your main computer (think OnLive, but local so minimal to no lag).

Steam Machine is basically a set of prebuilt computers at different designated spec levels, with SteamOS on them. You pick a level, buy a machine, take it home, plug it in just like a console, set up your Steam account, and you're up and running. Designed to be as easy to use as a console.

Unlike consoles, however, you can install other OS on your Steam Machine, upgrade hardware like video cards, etc. You don't have to, but you still have the option.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7TheBiggerOne(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 10:08:25 AM
KillerTruffle posted...

It's an OS designed for gaming and designed to work well with just a controller - much like consoles have.

It allows you to play Linux-based games natively right on SteamOS, or stream non-Linux games from your main computer (think OnLive, but local so minimal to no lag).

Steam Machine is basically a set of prebuilt computers at different designated spec levels, with SteamOS on them. You pick a level, buy a machine, take it home, plug it in just like a console, set up your Steam account, and you're up and running. Designed to be as easy to use as a console.

Unlike consoles, however, you can install other OS on your Steam Machine, upgrade hardware like video cards, etc. You don't have to, but you still have the option.

So you're saying it'll only play Linux-enabled games, and that if I want to play games only available on PC, I'd have to have a PC with those games and then stream it to my Machine? Or can I just play any game I want without worrying about having a PC?
#8Ch3wyPosted 9/27/2013 10:10:30 AM(edited)
TheBiggerOne posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

So you're saying it'll only play Linux-enabled games, and that if I want to play games only available on PC, I'd have to have a PC with those games and then stream it to my Machine? Or can I just play any game I want without worrying about having a PC?

Yes, or just set up dual boot.

The smartest Steam Machine setup would be a dual boot with a shared partition between Windows and Steam OS.

Unfortunately the target audience of the Steam Machine wouldn't know how to do that.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#9PhoenixPrincePosted 9/27/2013 10:11:06 AM
It's a pre-built gaming PC running Steam's version of Linux instead of Windows.
---
I tell it how I see it. Controversial and I don't care.
3DS FC: 4596-9684-4261
#10KillerTrufflePosted 9/27/2013 11:47:27 PM
Yeah, you can still install Windows on a Steam Machine, it's just not likely to come with it pre-installed. But yes, you can only play Linux-enabled games unless you have a Windows machine to stream it, or a Windows install on the Steam Machine itself.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23