This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone explain what SteamOS/Steam Machine is?

#11Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 9/28/2013 4:49:32 AM
PhoenixPrince posted...
It's a pre-built gaming PC running Steam's version of Linux instead of Windows.

---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#12claytonbuckleyPosted 9/28/2013 5:04:11 AM
SteamOS is self explanatory. It's an operating system. If you don't know what an operating system is, get back under your rock please.

Steam Machines are just some small cheap PCs Valve put together to test out SteamOS.

In the future Steam Boxes will be a thing. They will be (hopefully) small cheap PCs used to stream games from your main PC to your TV without having to have another kick ass PC, or having to install the game again on another PC. Other form of Steam Box will be just a proper gaming PC running SteamOS (Linux)

Basically, Valve have put together ideas to move PCs into the living room to compete with consoles. Few of us have had PCs in the living room for a while but this is to get them to the majority.

Im personally really excited about this. I have the parts laying around from my old HTPC. For the cost of a small case i could put it together, have it run SteamOS and play all my Steam games with the streaming feature. Doing that would allow me to sell my current HTPC, so Steam (in theory) have made me able to make some money lol.
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#13johnny_payPosted 9/28/2013 6:36:52 AM
its like an open source console
#14StarksPosted 9/28/2013 9:26:53 AM(edited)
People seem to be missing the point that you can install and dual-boot SteamOS on any computer (assuming it has decent enough specs),

Plus, it's free.
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#15TimePharaohPosted 9/28/2013 9:28:15 AM
claytonbuckley posted...
Basically, Valve have put together ideas to move PCs into the living room to compete with consoles. Few of us have had PCs in the living room for a while but this is to get them to the majority.

lol? Why would the majority want to do it when they already can, but don't because they know a monitor is far superior? That's like saying we could all be peasants. Sure, but why?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#16Timbo418Posted 9/28/2013 10:18:27 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
claytonbuckley posted...

lol? Why would the majority want to do it when they already can, but don't because they know a monitor is far superior? That's like saying we could all be peasants. Sure, but why?

Because sofas.
---
"If you're a Mass Effect fan then you have to be one of the biggest Hippocrates on earth. Have fun." - jnblz316
#17claytonbuckleyPosted 9/28/2013 3:03:38 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
claytonbuckley posted...

Oh look, it TimePharoh

0/10

gtfo
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah