This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you like Valve's gamepad?

#101iscareu13Posted 9/27/2013 2:42:37 PM
My first reaction was "meh".

I won't know till I try it though. I am not a big fan of controllers in general.
#102DiakurenPosted 9/27/2013 2:47:20 PM
The controller looks interesting, and i think it'll be good for fps if the trackpads work appropriately, but the face button placement isn't very good imo.

Imagine action/ Beat them up/ adventure games, like Devil May Cry, in which you need to use Y to attack, and to perform some attacks you need to push the stick in a certain direction, you'll need to rise your finger from the trackpad to do that with this controller, and that would just get you the standard attacks, of course i know you can map the attack/shoot/jump/grab/evade or anything that might need directional input to a different button, but something will have to end up in Y and X and in most action/ fighting or any other games that includes combos, letting go of the "left stick" isn't a very good idea unless you need to in order to perform something specific.
#103PraetorXynPosted 9/27/2013 2:50:35 PM
Diakuren posted...
The controller looks interesting, and i think it'll be good for fps if the trackpads work appropriately, but the face button placement isn't very good imo.

Imagine action/ Beat them up/ adventure games, like Devil May Cry, in which you need to use Y to attack, and to perform some attacks you need to push the stick in a certain direction, you'll need to rise your finger from the trackpad to do that with this controller, and that would just get you the standard attacks, of course i know you can map the attack/shoot/jump/grab/evade or anything that might need directional input to a different button, but something will have to end up in Y and X and in most action/ fighting or any other games that includes combos, letting go of the "left stick" isn't a very good idea unless you need to in order to perform something specific.

It's not meant to be a Console controller; you can already use any one of those you like with the PC. It's trying to be a better alternative to Keyboard and Mouse than traditional controllers are.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#104Treason686Posted 9/27/2013 2:52:58 PM
Looks awful. Sounds awful.

I'm not going to hop on the bandwagon just because this is Valve and they're trying to do something unique and innovative with PC gaming. They should be commended for that.

HOWEVER, touch pads are awful Put a spin on it however you'd like. I don't see this controller being anything but garbage.

So here's the rundown:

SteamOS: I hope it succeeds. Probably won't, due to lack of developer support. Short term, it'll be a dud. Long term? They have to compete with Microsoft and DirectX.

Steam Machine: Valve "unveiled" a computer. Cool.

Steam Controller: See Above.

I hope I'm being too cynical and I'm wrong about everything I've just said. I'd really love to try the controller and be amazed, but I doubt that's going to happen.

If Valve were extremely confident in their product, I think they would:
a) Release video footage
b) Allow reporters to demo the hardware/software
c) Release actual, concrete information. Specs, compatibility, etc.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#105Killah PriestPosted 9/27/2013 2:53:09 PM
literally the worst controller I've ever seen.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#106MT_TRAEHPosted 9/27/2013 3:05:29 PM
the f*** is that?
---
Misha > Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Shizune > Emi
#107AsellusPosted 9/27/2013 3:10:19 PM
Looks interesting. Never a fan of track pads but I could actually see them working for something like this since all you're really trying to do is follow a finger precisely, not imitate a mouse. Ie, they should be able to work just like thumbsticks only with better accuracy.

I do have some concern about the button placement though.
#108DiakurenPosted 9/27/2013 3:13:13 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
It's not meant to be a Console controller; you can already use any one of those you like with the PC. It's trying to be a better alternative to Keyboard and Mouse than traditional controllers are.

I guess that would be fps, rts, rpgs, may be even the standard targeting mmos( and likely a lot of genres i don't even know about), though i doubt the master race will be so easily convinced to change the glorious keyboard, the be all end all of gaming pads, for a tiny, petty controller.

In all seriousness though, it looks good for that type of games but i still would find the keyboard more comfortable for games like Skyrim where you have a lot of keybinds. Guess I'll find out when it's released.
#109TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/27/2013 3:18:06 PM
Asellus posted...
Looks interesting. Never a fan of track pads but I could actually see them working for something like this since all you're really trying to do is follow a finger precisely, not imitate a mouse. Ie, they should be able to work just like thumbsticks only with better accuracy.

I do have some concern about the button placement though.

The only advantage I see of trackpads on a controller is for RTS games. Joysticks are less accurate than a mouse at aiming but they are 100x better as movement than a keyboard.

The trackpad imo would be worse at precise aiming AND movement.
#110OreoBoy206Posted 9/27/2013 3:23:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kw8Fns3.png

^^^The trackpads work great according to this game designer..