This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you like Valve's gamepad?

#121PraetorXynPosted 9/27/2013 4:17:27 PM
Diakuren posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
It's not meant to be a Console controller; you can already use any one of those you like with the PC. It's trying to be a better alternative to Keyboard and Mouse than traditional controllers are.

I guess that would be fps, rts, rpgs, may be even the standard targeting mmos( and likely a lot of genres i don't even know about), though i doubt the master race will be so easily convinced to change the glorious keyboard, the be all end all of gaming pads, for a tiny, petty controller.

In all seriousness though, it looks good for that type of games but i still would find the keyboard more comfortable for games like Skyrim where you have a lot of keybinds. Guess I'll find out when it's released.

I agree. But I think it would be nice if this thing gave an option to people who like to couch game and can't be arsed to use a keyboard and mouse there.

i have no interest in couch gaming so I don't really care.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#122Lord_BadmagicPosted 9/27/2013 4:41:34 PM
Track pads, even more worthless for gaming than thumb sticks, valve has lost it.
---
"Whatever blows your hair back"
#123EdgeofDarknessPosted 9/27/2013 4:43:27 PM
Looks great can't say more without actually trying one out of course. I find it appropriate that valve would be the ones to break away from what a traditional controller looks and functions like.
#124CBratePosted 9/27/2013 4:53:34 PM
Keyboard and mouse isn't so good without a desk so I can understand why the Steambox would go with a controller but touchpads?

Touchpads don't have the same tactile response physical analog sticks or buttons do. I don't want to look down just to see if I'm pressing up on the controller.
#125julio77777Posted 9/27/2013 4:57:21 PM
There should be an option "I'm really curious, but need to try it before I make an opinion"

As for design it's a "WTF is THIS ?" type, it takes time getting used to.
I, for one, really like the fact Valve is taking risks on this, instead of throwing in a generic, bland controller.
#126PaukenPosted 9/27/2013 5:15:47 PM
It looks like it'd perform like complete crap on any game that would work best with a controller.

That being said, my TV can't wait to use this puppy for M+KB games on the big screen. If the track pads work as well as advertised, Civ V on my TV is actually a possibility rather than being a gigantic pain in the ass due to the necessity of a mouse (which really doesn't work well with a TV). Obviously I'm not gonna use it for games like Skyrim, Rogue Legacy, or stuff like that since they control way better with a 360-like pad, but it's the first time I've seen a controller that would actually be OK for turn based and real time strategy games, or Diablo-like ARPGs.
#127NimbusStevPosted 9/27/2013 6:13:40 PM
I need to hold the thing in my hands before I make a decision. But historically, I have hated just about every trackpad I've ever used so chances are I won't like it.
#128OreoBoy206Posted 9/27/2013 6:32:25 PM
"He said areas on the trackpad can be configured to have multiple button inputs. For example, the very top edge of a trackpad can be mapped to the keyboard's Shift+W, making your character in a first-person game run."

"Tabar said the configuration map for the controller allows you to do "pretty much anything." For example, developers can slice up a pad into quarters, each one representing a different input, or even into eight radial sections, again, each section representing whatever you want, mapping to key combinations, or to the mouse."

"These are not like laptop trackpads," Tabar said. "Everyone is like, 'Oh we're replacing thumbsticks with trackpads, [laughs] But this is not at all like a laptop trackpad. It just feels good. It's a challenge to verbally describe it.

"When [your thumb] moves toward the outer zone of the trackpad, you can feel that. [The zones on the trackpad] are independent of each other," he added.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201195/Select_game_developers_used_the_Steam_Controller_Heres_what_they_said.php
Source^^^

Interesting...
#129RavenoussdPosted 9/27/2013 6:34:10 PM
looks nifty

might get one if my xbox controller goes out for whatever reason
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#130Kyuubi4269Posted 9/27/2013 6:47:25 PM
CBrate posted...
Keyboard and mouse isn't so good without a desk so I can understand why the Steambox would go with a controller but touchpads?

Touchpads don't have the same tactile response physical analog sticks or buttons do. I don't want to look down just to see if I'm pressing up on the controller.

If I've read this right, the vibrations this thing creates from what I've read should be able to make completely different feelings under your thumb, potentially imitating a d-pad to the touch so you wouldn't loose track of your positioning, the pads are also concave so your thumbs should naturally know where the center is anyway.

I think with a bit of software magic, the left touchpad should be able to mimic face buttons too by creating vibrations giving the tactile response of 4 circles and tracking where it's touched to account for multiple "face button" presses when clicked.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders