This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There's no d-pad...

#11arleasPosted 9/27/2013 11:56:20 AM
I'd say the only thing a D-pad does well that an analog stick can't do is complicated rapid movements (like for a fighting game)....

BTW: Did nobody read the part where Valve said that the new controllers are "hackable"? IF you want a D-pad so badly, put one in yourself. I'd have to try this controller to see how it's going to work... since there are no sticks, it'd be weird to get used to... but I'm willing to try it...especially if this works easily with games that expect a keyboard instead.

Really though, like with EVERYTHING Valve has announced this week, I can't say if I love it or hate it till I've given it a shot... Maybe the OS blows? Maybe their hardware is too expensive or too weak? Maybe the controller is cheap and breaks easily... OR maybe it'll all be awesome.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#12NicoC96Posted 9/27/2013 12:06:58 PM
Well, the touchpads are clickable, so you could get D-pad functionality. Just divide the touchpad into 4 quarters, then use it like that. It won't be as good as physical buttons, but it'll work.
#13NinjaGuerraPosted 9/27/2013 12:39:24 PM
NicoC96 posted...
Well, the touchpads are clickable, so you could get D-pad functionality. Just divide the touchpad into 4 quarters, then use it like that. It won't be as good as physical buttons, but it'll work.

physical buttons wont be as good as physical buttons?
---
Rhythm Game Enthusiast.
PSN/Gamertag/LoL: NinjaGuerra
#14therickmu25Posted 9/27/2013 12:41:44 PM
I only see this sucking if you just play platformers. But then you could just plug in a PS3 controller.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#15TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/27/2013 12:44:22 PM
arleas posted...
I'd say the only thing a D-pad does well that an analog stick can't do is complicated rapid movements (like for a fighting game)....

BTW: Did nobody read the part where Valve said that the new controllers are "hackable"? IF you want a D-pad so badly, put one in yourself. I'd have to try this controller to see how it's going to work... since there are no sticks, it'd be weird to get used to... but I'm willing to try it...especially if this works easily with games that expect a keyboard instead.

Really though, like with EVERYTHING Valve has announced this week, I can't say if I love it or hate it till I've given it a shot... Maybe the OS blows? Maybe their hardware is too expensive or too weak? Maybe the controller is cheap and breaks easily... OR maybe it'll all be awesome.

+1
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#16TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/27/2013 2:11:03 PM(edited)
arleas posted...

Hopefully, anyone who actually buys this can use a 360 or Xbox One controller.

Installing your own d-pad? Why on earth would you waste time on doing something that is completely unnecessary?

Seeing the work people put into creating their own custom arcade sticks or arcade cabinets makes perfect sense because it's awesome and isn't a standard but putting in a d-pad on a console controller? Why bother?
#17wizardmonPosted 9/27/2013 2:13:18 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
arleas posted...

Installing your own d-pad? Why on earth would you waste time on doing something that is completely unnecessary?

Seeing the work people put into creating their own custom arcade sticks or arcade cabinets makes perfect sense because it's awesome and isn't a standard but putting in a d-pad on a console controller? Why bother?

By making a D pad, I'm sure he's talking about programing ranges into the trackpad to make it function better as a D pad by restricting it to only up, left, right, and down.

It'd probably also be hardware hackable too, but no one is likely to go that length for at least a few months after getting one.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#18xxFierceFirexxPosted 9/27/2013 2:15:15 PM
I actually play platformers and fighting games with the analog stick.. Yeah..
#19arleasPosted 9/27/2013 2:24:12 PM

If you read to the bottom of the page you would see their FAQ:
Steam Controller FAQ
Iím a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I donít want a controller?
You canít make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But weíre happy youíre happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we wonít abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

They're not forcing you to use their controller. That would just be stupid. Nothing else they announced is mandatory.

If you like the rest of the controller and only lament the fact that it has no D-Pad, then adding a D-pad would make it even better. I don't know how easy it's going to be to add one but the point is that it's customizable. If there's a market for a Steam controller with a D Pad then someone will likely make them...

For you it's a bother; for someone else maybe it's no bother at all.. and that someone else could be a manufacturer who wants to make a steam controller compatible device but make it more familiar by adding a d-pad? It's all speculation though because I have only seen a picture of the thing and it could just be an "artists conception" of the final device and may wind up looking nothing like the end product.

I'm not the type to "hack" my devices, but I trust that if there's a demand for something, they'll make kits or something to make it easily possible.

But whatever... It's clear you're uninterested, so none of it really matters anyway.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#20Dukaduka1k82Posted 9/27/2013 4:44:59 PM
Hack the controller and put a d-pad in.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm