This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any other Japanese RPGs on Steam? (list)

#41kobalobasileusPosted 9/28/2013 11:11:42 AM
daemon_dan posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
>People still not understanding Japanese-style RPGs.

Which isn't actually a style, sorry to say. Japanese and Western RPGs need to stop being labelled as styles because they're not. It's just silly to think that

Agreed. The two idiotic terms WRPG and JRPG only came into being in the 7th Generation. Before that there were more useful descriptive terms, like A(ction)RPG and T(actical)RPG.

What everyone needs to agree on is that "JRPGs" are actual honest-to-goodness RPGs, while "WRPGs" are action games (Sandbox, FPS, TPS, Action/Adventure) with some kind of character customization or leveling bolted on.
#42GoldninjaPosted 9/28/2013 11:28:56 AM(edited)
Oi. When people mention JRPG, they do generally refer to turn based RPG gameplay but that's mainly something that sort of caught on and is repeated. There's the turn based RPG and the action RPG. JRPGs just tend to lean toward the former (or they used to. Been a while since I played them). To call those Penny Arcade games JRPGs is rather... dumb, but I guess understandable if you're new to the terms and aren't aware of who developed them.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#43xpiritflarePosted 9/28/2013 11:52:48 AM(edited)
DiviDude posted...
And another GameFAQs thread falls victim to solipsistic douches who take their personal conceptualization of what is and isn't a genre as some sort of immutable truth that people need to be corrected about rather than the massive space of arbitrary grey area that it really is.

And the RPG ones are even worse than usual!

Agdistis posted...
No such thing. JRPG was never an actual genre, it's just a blanket term used to describe any RPG from Japan. GameFAQs doesn't recognize "JRPG" as a genre and neither does anyone with common sense.

Quoting for truth and also stupidity for the need to quote. Please don't make me bold the word genre.
---
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa
#44KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 1:46:22 PM
Games like Final Fantasy Tactics are know in the US as Strategy RPGs, but in Japan those games are known as Simulation RPGs. If you use the term Simulation RPG in the west, people will think you are either talking about a PC gaming sub-genre (Deux EX, Elder Scrolls, etc.) or a console gaming sub-genre (Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, etc.).

People will never agree on terminology.

I think JRPG does not describe a genre, as people use it to talk about turn-based RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) as much as to talk about action RPGs (Secret of Mana) or even strategy RPGs (Fire Emblem).
#45DiviDudePosted 9/28/2013 3:41:41 PM
xanthan1 posted...
food

If your argument hinges on us accepting that Taco Bell is Mexican food, then I don't think you have a winning argument.
#46SenkoyPosted 9/28/2013 3:54:59 PM
betterboulder posted...
Senkoy posted...
Didn't know The Last Remnant was on steam. I'll jump on it if it goes on sale.

The Winter Sale should be a sure thing. It was cut pretty deep during the Summer sale.

Thanks man. Sucks I missed it during the summer sale, but I'll definitely pick it up during the winter one.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#47Relentless639Posted 9/28/2013 3:59:16 PM
I don't really care about either side of the argument. What really bothers me is that some clever dudes will reccomend some s*** RPGs that play like archaic turn based jRPGs that don't even have the expected artstyle.

For example it's infuriating how games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Neverwinter, DX, Gothic/Risen and so on, never got female anatomy even right let alone apealling.
#48KCGeminiPosted 9/28/2013 4:52:36 PM
xanthan1 posted...
Dark Souls is an Action RPG, not a JRPG.

I could have swore it used RPG mechanics. I guess those stats are just filler.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#49TomNook20Posted 9/28/2013 5:08:15 PM
HURRRRRRR DDUUUUUUUUUUUUUR
---
Save the owls
#50KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2013 7:26:16 AM
The_Weeaboo posted...
KidIcaroots posted...
Am I missing anything?

Nope. I own every Japanese game on Steam, and you just listed all of the RPGs.

I guess there's FFXI if you're counting MMOs, but other than that, no.

Thanks!