This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is Valve trying to accomplish?

#11Cool_Dude667Posted 9/27/2013 1:09:13 PM
So he can afford even more bacon flavored jelly donuts and fried oreos.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#12sirtonne(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 1:30:49 PM
Garquille14 posted...
to connect PC and console gaming, making gamers and developers more happy, and getting in on the financial bonuses of doing it

Yes, yes, every billionare CEO is only out to make people happy and making money is just a bonus!
I don't see who this is making happy though, certainly not gamers, neither PC or console gamers seem to want it.
#13BogePosted 9/27/2013 2:22:34 PM
I think they're mostly trying to get on some console consumers. Unfortunately, I'm afraid if things are very successful, that just might be the end of traditional PC gaming as we know it. Developers will start going away from mouse and keyboard controls, so we'll all be sitting on our couches with gamepads. That's not guuuuud!
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#14squidgy617Posted 9/27/2013 2:38:30 PM
MachEvolution posted...
Valve is trying to make PC game development as open as possible while also trying to provide options for a more simplistic experience for people who would otherwise be overwhelmed by the "complexities" of PC gaming.

Anyone who's whining about Valve's recent announcements is either ignorant or a troll, and probably both.

This.

Poll options are extremely negative and biased by the way.
#15PolarisPosted 9/27/2013 4:13:31 PM
I like this poll. Cynicism taken to the next level!
#16rusty12000Posted 9/27/2013 4:23:01 PM
Valve knows Windows as a PC gaming platform is coming to a end, just look at the utter garbage Windows 8. Clearly this is Microsoft's way of moving to Tablets instead. This looks like Valve's way of not going down with them.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#17WyzeGyePosted 9/27/2013 4:30:39 PM
rusty12000 posted...
Valve knows Windows as a PC gaming platform is coming to a end, just look at the utter garbage Windows 8. Clearly this is Microsoft's way of moving to Tablets instead. This looks like Valve's way of not going down with them.

Ever stop to think that maybe Windows 8 was a solution to cater to the people who are becoming more and more used to the Mobile experience. I can hand a 5 year old an iPad, and they know how to use it. The same cant be said for a lot of 15 year olds and a computer.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about a broadening market with more choices and flexibility than we've ever had available in the past.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#18sa2bmasterPosted 9/27/2013 5:36:44 PM
WyzeGye posted...
rusty12000 posted...

Ever stop to think that maybe Windows 8 was a solution to cater to the people who are becoming more and more used to the Mobile experience. I can hand a 5 year old an iPad, and they know how to use it. The same cant be said for a lot of 15 year olds and a computer.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about a broadening market with more choices and flexibility than we've ever had available in the past.

I'll keep my opinions of W8 silent, but how many 15 year olds don't know how to use a computer? I've been using them in school since i was 5 in kindergarten in 1997, and schools still use computers all the time and keyboarding is all but required in school now, so how would most 15 year olds not know how to use a computer if you handed them one?
#19RavenoussdPosted 9/27/2013 5:41:21 PM(edited)
to make (more)money
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#20darkstar4221Posted 9/27/2013 6:01:44 PM(edited)
sirtonne posted...
Garquille14 posted...
to connect PC and console gaming, making gamers and developers more happy, and getting in on the financial bonuses of doing it

Yes, yes, every billionare CEO is only out to make people happy and making money is just a bonus!
I don't see who this is making happy though, certainly not gamers, neither PC or console gamers seem to want it.

There is nothing wrong with a business making money (of course they need to make money) as long as the company is providing consumers with what they want, and they are competing in a free competitive market. Unless you are a monopoly like Microsoft who gets billions of dollars in licensing fees (ie licensing windows and office) and indirectly force the consumer to use windows. The current software industry is not operating under a free market.