This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you going to buy a Steam Controller?

#91VoxwikPosted 9/28/2013 11:01:36 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Go try and play on dual analogs, then try to play with a tablet or cell phone screen. Tell me which sucks more.

It's already been established it's not at all like a tablet or cell phone screen. Whether or not it will work well for most games I don't know, but comparison to current touch screens has already been stated to be completely off the mark by the people who have used it.
#92VanderZooPosted 9/29/2013 6:59:11 AM
TheApd_Returns posted...
I want to like it, but the present layout makes it bad for the two genres controllers are better for: 3rd person action and fighting games. Really kind of self defeating until they inevitably revise all buttons to one side

That's exactly what I said, this controller is fundamentally flawed when it comes to action games (like DMC) and fighters. I think the touchpads could be cool, but I hope they're genuinely good and/or an improvement, and not just a case of Valve trying to be different for the sake of it.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#93Orestes417Posted 9/29/2013 7:22:21 AM
Voxwik posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Go try and play on dual analogs, then try to play with a tablet or cell phone screen. Tell me which sucks more.

It's already been established it's not at all like a tablet or cell phone screen. Whether or not it will work well for most games I don't know, but comparison to current touch screens has already been stated to be completely off the mark by the people who have used it.

No it's been claimed. Huge difference. Sorta like the difference between claiming HL2e3 exists and shipping it. Until it's widely available it's all vapourware.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#94VoxwikPosted 9/29/2013 1:46:58 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Voxwik posted...
Orestes417 posted...

No it's been claimed. Huge difference. Sorta like the difference between claiming HL2e3 exists and shipping it. Until it's widely available it's all vapourware.

It was hands on impressions from people outside of Valve. That doesn't mean it will work, but they've already said it does not at all compare to those touch screens.
#95synthetiksinPosted 9/29/2013 2:43:26 PM
The reason why this will work on any game is that it emulates both controller AND keyboard and mouse inputs rather than actual controller. They'll probably hire someone to sit and look through the catalog and fix up a controller profile for each game. If not, there will probably be a community thing, like the workshop but for controller maps.

Reminds me of the controller remap for skyrim that makes the 360 controller a lot more viable (1-8 shortcuts, etc).
#96VanderZooPosted 9/29/2013 6:50:44 PM
Voxwik posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Voxwik posted...
Orestes417 posted...

It was hands on impressions from people outside of Valve. That doesn't mean it will work, but they've already said it does not at all compare to those touch screens.

I don't care about how it compared to other touch pads, what we need to know is how does it compare to an analogue stick.

If it's better, then Valve has done something pretty groundbreaking.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#97arleasPosted 9/29/2013 8:10:36 PM
how does it compare to an analogue stick.

If it's better, then Valve has done something pretty groundbreaking.

I think "better" is going to depend entirely on the game in question and how you feel about analog sticks in general. I'm guessing this is going to be a nice compromise between analog stick and mouse control... not necessarily better than either... just somewhere in the middle.

For things like FPS I'm sure I'm still going to prefer a mouse and keyboard (though I *MIGHT* See myself using mouse to aim and the controller to move if there's some advantage to doing that). For other games I'd need some time to get used to it before I could say it was better or worse. I have a feeling most people are going to be frustrated immediately that there are no sticks and decide that it's no good without giving it a chance.

I could be wrong though...I'd love to get my hands on the controller myself.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#98r0ge00Posted 9/30/2013 7:20:55 AM
ITT: People hating on a prototype of a product they've never even used.
#99arleasPosted 9/30/2013 7:31:41 AM

It looks too different for people to just blindly accept. If they had taken an Xbox 360 controller and just added 5 more buttons and maybe moved a stick around they would have been "COOL!"
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#100betterboulderPosted 9/30/2013 9:45:50 AM
arleas posted...

It looks too different for people to just blindly accept. If they had taken an Xbox 360 controller and just added 5 more buttons and maybe moved a stick around they would have been "COOL!"

There's really no incentive to spend any development money on the controller in the 1st place if it was just gonna be an 360 controller with a few sticks around. Steam Machines are still gonna be PC's meaning you will be able to pretty much use most modern inputs to play your games. When they decided to try something, going with a product that set itself apart completely was the only choice. I will say you don't have to blindly accept it but writing it off completely because it's different, you don't understand it, it doesn't look like other controllers, or it looks ugly is just as bad as blind acceptance.
---
More than happy to purchase the Wii U as my Smash Bros. Box
NintendoNetwork/PSN/XBL/Steam: PositiveCalvin/ 3DS Friend Code: 0259-0454-7272