This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shadow Warrior is probably the most fun I've had in an FPS in quite a while

#21xanthan1Posted 10/4/2013 4:46:38 PM(edited)
Rama_III posted...
VeiledGenesis posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...
It's pretty freakin awesome. My only real gripe is the guns do basically nothing on insane difficulty. I recommend playing a lighter difficulty first time through. Luckily the katana is a blast to use. I still need to finish the game though, I stopped playing for a few days.

VeiledGenesis posted...

There's a new one? Oh dear god, I hope it's not another DNF...

Everyone in this thread has pretty much enjoyed it...

Hopefully it's not one of those in-denial sort of things, like with every 3D Sonic game and the fans that defend them to the grave.

There's little indication as to the majority of the fans even acknowledging the fact that there was an original game. People like DV8 that have played the original are really the only ones with opinions that matter.

Yeah no. That's like saying only people who played Super Mario 1 have an opinion that matters for 3D World, wrong in every conceivable way.

Their opinions matter more, sure, but saying only they matter is just stupid.
#22ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/4/2013 9:04:54 PM
I guess this is the new flavor of the month where everyone praises the game despite the fact that it's horrifically linear, and super sub par?

Oh, goody.
#23ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/4/2013 9:05:46 PM
I'm also guessing we're gonna bad mouth the original, even though this game is supposed to embody what made the original great, but failed at?
#24DiviDudePosted 10/4/2013 9:06:59 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
I'm also guessing we're gonna bad mouth the original, even though this game is supposed to embody what made the original great, but failed at?

You are as unpleasant as you are un-insightful.
#25ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/4/2013 9:07:50 PM
DiviDude posted...
You are as unpleasant as you are un-insightful.

I'm a bucket full of sunshine.
#26Crimson_JesusPosted 10/4/2013 9:15:06 PM
I guess this is the new flavor of the month where everyone praises the game despite the fact that it's horrifically linear, and super sub par?

Oh, goody.

I think linear is the funniest thing anyone can say against a game.

Man that Super Mario Bros 3 is really linear, if it was more like GTA it'd be so much better.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#27ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/4/2013 9:16:19 PM
Crimson_Jesus posted...

You're laughing and clapping your hands because you don't understand the complaint itself.

Hallway-like maps vs. larger, more open maps
#28jake-sfPosted 10/4/2013 9:39:35 PM
Crimson_Jesus posted...

Oh, goody.

Man that Super Mario Bros 3 is really linear, if it was more like GTA it'd be so much better.

So non-linear = sandbox?

In a world where sandboxes are overrated as all hell, you'd think people would understand the fun in having some form of openness, in having levels that feel "organic", connected. Levels that have so much deep in design. The old Shadow Warrior had INSANE variety in level design, the kind of rooms you fought in and how enemies were placed, compared to the new one. And yet it was one of the weaker shooter of that era.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#29DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/5/2013 3:19:09 AM
Yep the linearity is the number one complaint I have. Second would be lack of variety. There are only 3 'zones' throughout the game and the levels within all sort of feel the same. That said, the ACTION in the game reminded me very much of the older school games. Sure it gets cliched with the addition of 'weakspot' enemies but that adds to the intensity. Insane+ 90% sword gameplay was refreshing in a genre where its greatest innovations this last generation were regeneration and 'cover'. This sort of has regeneration but its of the manual type.

I suppose my third complaint is that its a bit too easy aside from like 2 situations.

The story is passable, the secrets hidden out of sight well enough, the combat satisfying and the graphics above average. Almost everything I could want in an old school styled shooter... The maps aren't even all super linear although I agree that the majority are. The only thing that would have really impressed me is if they had more verticality with appropriate platforming. Would make level design much more interesting just like the original. Jumping was a large part of the originals challenge and fun while its nearly nonexistent here.

Again, compared to all the other dudebro shooters released in the last half decade, this remains much higher on my list of 'fun'.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#30biohazard1775Posted 10/6/2013 8:29:34 AM
Does the heal ability make the game too easy?
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!