This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help on building PC, picking graphic card & requirements for streaming

#1ivory3333Posted 9/27/2013 3:50:23 PM
im looking at some graphic cards and wanted to know which will end up meeting my demands. the game im talking are mostly mostly mmorpg such as guild wars 2 (which is not much of a problem playing on best setting) and other game im trying to set my pc at is bf4. And i tend to stream games/capture video for youtube which is very i wanna set my pc that can stream in HD quality 720 or 1080.

the CPU i am going for is i7-4770k. i was initially going for i5, but i read many post where people recommended i7 for streaming/recording, and i5 if im just playing the game.

the GPU i need an advice on. many are giving me mix opinion; i was going for gtx 660 but other said go with gtx 660 ti or 760. the highest i can go for is gtx 770, which is a bit expensive for me but if i have no choice, i'll try to cut budget on other part for building pc. but the thing is for 770, i don't know if it is too much. i don't wanna end up spending $400 where 760 (around $260) can do the same job. i mostly just play guild wars 2 but im gonna base this on the game that require more strength which is bf4. which graphic card is better to play bf4 with minimal lag and also streaming? is there a big difference between gtx 660 and 760? also between gtx 660 ti and 770? if you have other recommendation for other video card, please let me know. my budget for gpu are $ 250 is good, i can even go around $320 and limit or maximum i can go for is $400. also on the side note i see many different brands for gpu such as MSI, GIGA BYTE, EVGA, ASUS and ZOTAC. EVGA seem to be most expensive, MSI/giga are in between with zotac being the cheapest. so do they make any difference or am i just paying for brand name?

im still searching for other parts of the pc, but i thought i should start with most expensive first. MOTHERBOARDs, i'll see which one will fit best and not cost so much. right now im looking at MSI z87-g45 gaming atx around $160 for cheaper or MSI z87 mpower max eAtx ($260) for the highest. i wanted to have a board that has good wireless connection.

CASE im looking at is HAF X which is around $160 but if i can find a good one for cheaper, i'll go with that too.

RAM i was going for 8gb but some said if im streaming/recording i should go with 16gb.

HDD, i was also adding 120gb SSD to put my games on and some one said also put my recording programs on SSD for faster performance, while other said don't bother since it will kill ssd very fast like 1-2 years. so i may get a small 64gb or cut this out to save money for other parts like gpu.

COOLING FAN im still searching and probably only need 1 for CPU.

based on all this i'll just get the power supply that fit best.

my total budget is around 1000-1500, with $1000 being perfect price for me but around $1250 is also good. i'll spent up to 1400-1500 if i really have to and can't cut down on other part on pc. because i wanna save some money to get other supplies such as monitor, keyboad, mouse etc.
---
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." W. Churchill
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/27/2013 4:07:20 PM
In regards to the GPU, you get what you pay for. If you want more, invest more. If you invest less, expect less.

For motherboards, the biggest difference between boards is power design. Cheaper boards might not achieve the same overclocks. But, for intel boards, this is less of a problem, since intel processors don't really eat as much power as AMD processors.

If you don't know if you need an expensive case, you don't need an expensive case. Get a cheaper case(~$50-60, major brand. Avoid crap like rosewill or raidmax or such unless you're on an extreme budget.) and if you find it frustrating for some reason, figure out why, and get a new case that suits your needs. Just because a case is expensive doesn't mean it's a good fit for you.

8GB is fine for streaming/recording, but 16GB won't exactly hurt either. I haven't found memory related problems with recording video to harddrive, and I'm using 4GB, so I kind of doubt it'll make much difference. On the other hand, if you need to keep pages loaded up for livestreaming, that might take an extra 100mb or whatever.

SSD will die very quickly if you use it as a recording drive, so don't record to your system drive. 120GB isn't really enough for your OS, several games, and a few GB of recordings either.
Don't rely solely on a SSD. Get a HDD for game installs.

For your CPU HSF, Hyper 212+. It comes with a decent fan. If you have problems with it, replace it with a pair of Akasa Vipers, since they're basically the same thing, but a bit quieter.
I recommend getting some cheap case fans as well, though, since some towers come with absolutely horrible case fans. The tower I'm using now had 2 of it's case fans inexplicably. Didn't even last a day. Good thing I was planning on replacing them with some S-Flex.
It's a good idea to stick to low-RPM quiet fans for the case. Some 20db/50cfm fans are a good idea.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3NicodimusPosted 9/27/2013 4:14:22 PM
If I were you, I'd probably be deciding between the 770 ($400) and the 7970 ($300.)

The 660/660Ti is a little dated, and the 760 is a good value, but does not perform as well as the two cards above. If you can really afford the 770, get it. If that's a little too rich, grab the 7970.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#4ivory3333(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 4:23:32 PM(edited)
yeah, im looking the the cooling fan, seems good enough and searching for a case around $50-60, this is good comparing to $150 since it can cut me whole $100.

for the card. i did read on some board about hd 7970 which actually seemed good and gonna look into that. was lookng around if there is any major difference between 7970 and gtx 770. but im guess there are since 770 is $100 more epxensive.

also for 770 does it make any difference if u get MSI, giga bytes, zotac? seems like zotac is $30 cheaper, but i don't wanna go $30 cheap and find out that its not as good quality as the others.
---
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." W. Churchill
#5rusty12000Posted 9/27/2013 4:23:48 PM
Make sure you get Windows 7, Windows 8 is trash.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#6NicodimusPosted 9/27/2013 4:30:03 PM
ivory3333 posted...
for the card. i did read on some board about hd 7970 which actually seemed good and gonna look into that. was lookng around if there is any major difference between 7970 and gtx 770. but im guess there are since 770 is $100 more epxensive.

also for 770 does it make any difference if u get MSI, giga bytes, zotac? seems like zotac is $30 cheaper, but i don't wanna go $30 cheap and find out that its not as good quality as the others.

The 770 is a bit newer than the 7970, but the 7970 is still a good value, especially if you overclock.

The brand matters for a few reasons:

-Customer service/warranty support etc

-The design of the cooling solution

-The design of which power cables need to power your card (doesn't usually matter with most modern power supplies, but I had 1 card that needed an 8-pin hookup, and my current one needs an 8 and a 6-pin, so it's good to know what you need.)

-The physical dimensions of the card may vary (more important with smaller cases.)

-If the card's voltage is locked or not (important to people who want to overclock like crazy. You can still OC on stock voltage, but not as much.)
---
#7NicodimusPosted 9/27/2013 4:34:57 PM(edited)
I would also like to throw out a glowing recommendation for the Fractal Design R4 case ($90.) It is built like a tank, has good options for adding extra 140mm cooling fans (comes with 2, has spots for 4 more if you want), has tons of room, and has excellent sound dampening material throughout that makes it very, very quiet.
---
#8ivory3333(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 4:41:42 PM
thanks, this is what i got so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Ikkx
oh ignore the power supply, i just put that in there to get some price idea.

gonna see if i can change some part if i can to make it around $1200
---
#9NicodimusPosted 9/27/2013 4:42:35 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Iko6

Came out to $1393. It's a place for you to start and tinker around with, at least.
---
#10NicodimusPosted 9/27/2013 4:43:54 PM
Sorry, I was building that while you posted the other one. Still, take a look anyhow.
---