This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Not sure what's wrong with my PC, but I have an idea.

#1SychosisDragonPosted 9/27/2013 4:54:18 PM
Okay, so I was having this same problem before. Then I had my motherboard, processor and RAM replaced, but the issue is still occuring. I think it's the PSU but I could be wrong.

PC randomly shuts down.
When I shut the PC off, the keyboard stays active (Numlock light stays on, etc)
If I leave the switch on the back of the PSU on, if I try to turn the PC itself on after, say, a day, it will power on, but won't reach the bios. BUT, if I switch it off (on the back of the PSU) for about 10 seconds, the light on the keyboard shuts off, and when I flip the PSU back on, the PC boots up fine.

I have NO idea what's causing this, but I'm hoping you guys can help so I can replace the problem.
---
"It detects those that are awesome. Which you are not.
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#2Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/27/2013 4:58:49 PM
That sounds like a PSU issue, blow some compressed air into it and see if that fixes anything, because an overheating issue is probably the cheapest problem to solve. It sounds like you had this problem with your old setup too, otherwise I'd think that maybe your PSU was underpowered for your new components.

Honestly when it's a PSU issue it really blows because typically the only way to fix it is with a new PSU. DO NOT under any circumstances try and take your PSU apart, they can quite easily kill you.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#3SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:06:00 PM
Yeah when the PSU was first installed, it was okay, but it was already old at that point. My friend gave it to me because my old one blew out. I had a feeling it wouldn't last. What's a good brand to go with?
---
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#4Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/27/2013 5:11:51 PM
SychosisDragon posted...
Yeah when the PSU was first installed, it was okay, but it was already old at that point. My friend gave it to me because my old one blew out. I had a feeling it wouldn't last. What's a good brand to go with?

IIRC Seasonic is one of the few companies that actually builds their PSUs and are known for high quality.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#5SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:19:34 PM
Thank you for all of the help. Last question.
My PC basically consists of (And these are old models, but new in condition)

Motherboard
2 HDDs
1 DVD burner
ATI video card
2 case fans
Processor
3 sticks of RAM
Heatsink
(I don't think I forgot anything)

I believe the last PSU I had for this setup was 450W and I was told that was more than enough.
My question is for an older setup with those components, what's a good amount of wattage to have in a PSU?
---
#6Loserman15Posted 9/27/2013 5:32:27 PM
I have to ask you, you replaced all of those components, when you knew you had an old PSU? That would have been the very first thing I checked.
#7SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:34:32 PM
Actually, those had problems of their own haha, they needed to be replaced. the only remaining problem is the PSU, well, if that's the cause of the problems I listed in the first message that is. And the old PSU I had was 430W.
---
#8Loserman15Posted 9/27/2013 5:36:01 PM
Haha, a new antec 450w can be had for fifty dollars or less, I'd probably just go for one of those.
#9SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:38:31 PM
My last PSU was an Antec, it didn't last that long, then again, I had my PC on pretty much 24/7 during that time period... I did try to replace this one once, but I was an idiot and ordered one that didn't have the right connectors for my setup. Luckily, the thing was DOA and I was able to send it back.
---
#10SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:44:14 PM
Eying these three...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

Any recommendations?
---