This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Im confused about the steam box....

#1Mindbend8erPosted 9/28/2013 2:04:38 AM
Is the steam box going to be like a console where you can play pc games on your tv straight from the box or do you have to hook up your pc to the steam box then the tv? If that is the case will you still need a high end PC to run high end games on the steam box?
---
game tag - mindbend8r
#2MrApplePosted 9/28/2013 2:07:51 AM
the steambox will be console like in the fact that it will hook up to your tv, it boots to the systems operating system/dashboard you pick the game and play.
---
…../|,-‘`ŻŻ`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` Ż : o : : :o `-, …. Believing in a sign of Zeta
#3AsellusPosted 9/28/2013 2:21:10 AM
It'll be able to play SteamOS native games directly or stream games from a Windows PC.
#4SlaynPosted 9/28/2013 2:21:47 AM
It's the AppleTV of video games.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#5Mindbend8er(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 2:41:08 AM
so I have skyrim in my steam library but I cant run it on my current pc. If I had a steam box I would be able to play skyrim straight from the steam box withl no problem or ill still need a pc?
---
game tag - mindbend8r
#6betterboulderPosted 9/28/2013 2:49:27 AM
Mindbend8er posted...
so I have skyrim in my steam library but I cant run it on my current pc. If I had a steam box I would be able to play skyrim straight from the steam box withl no problem or ill still need a pc?

Straight from the Stream Box
---
More than happy to purchase the Wii U as my Smash Bros. Box
NintendoNetwork/PSN/XBL/Steam: PositiveCalvin/ 3DS Friend Code: 0259-0454-7272
#7Mindbend8er(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 2:59:06 AM
sounds more like a console to me. Is the steam box going to have a hard drive you install the games to?
---
game tag - mindbend8r
#8betterboulderPosted 9/28/2013 3:15:50 AM(edited)
Mindbend8er posted...
sounds more like a console to me. Is the steam box going to have a hard drive you install the games to?

It technically is supposed to be like a console. It's meant to be a PC optimized specifically for Steam gaming in the living room. There are meant to be a variety of machines from different partners and as such I assume there will be a range of choices as to storage. I'm assuming if you have a rig already and prefer to stream games you'll have a rig with a smaller form factor and possibly lighter cost compared to if you don't have a rig/want to replace your rig with a Steambox (Slightly bigger, probably costs more.) Until we hear more about these partners, nothing is truly clear yet.
---
#9Mindbend8er(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 3:17:07 AM
so what do you think the price of the steam box will be? roughly?
---
game tag - mindbend8r
#10betterboulderPosted 9/28/2013 3:22:03 AM
Mindbend8er posted...
so what do you think the price of the steam box will be? roughly?

All I can do is shrug my shoulders, man. If this is really supposed to edge it's way into the living room, it needs to probably be on par with the X1 in terms of price. But since PC gamers are used to building expensive rigs anyway they might go into the $600+ range. I've got no idea what they'll pull.
---