This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have good price/performance gaming build costs gone up in recent years?

#31g7g7g7g7Posted 9/29/2013 1:57:21 PM
If you want cheap get the phenom 955, or maybe a FX6300 if you are really pushing the boat out.

By the time your budget gets to an 8350 ~ $200 you should be looking at an i5 processor which will give much much better price/performance in games especially.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#32BowsaaPosted 9/29/2013 1:58:46 PM
ctrl_alt_de1337 posted...
Say, have you EVER played any games as they were intended, or are you just scraping by with antiquated hardware just because "you can".

Says the guy advocating a Phenom II.

High/ultra with a good framerate strikes me as being 'the way it's meant to be played'. You just go ahead and trying to move the goalposts, I'm really enjoying this.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#33Sergei_DukanovPosted 9/29/2013 2:02:01 PM
Bowsaa posted...
And my point still stands that you run everything in DX9.

SR3 has DX11 mode, BF3 doesn't support DX9, etc. Wrong again, fool.

DX10 might as well be DX9 in BF3.

Say, have you EVER played any games as they were intended, or are you just scraping by with antiquated hardware just because "you can".

I can go sleep with a fat woman because I can. Does that mean I will? No, because the experience will be ugly and sluggish.

Sadly I know plenty of people what prefer larger women. And its a bit sad.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1
#34ctrl_alt_de1337Posted 9/29/2013 2:12:38 PM
Bowsaa posted...

Says the guy advocating a Phenom II.

High/ultra with a good framerate strikes me as being 'the way it's meant to be played'. You just go ahead and trying to move the goalposts, I'm really enjoying this.

I didn't realize I was trying to win at anything, pleb. Unlike you, I don't take the GameFAQs message boards seriously. (Don't believe me? Check my Karma.)

Google will show just how viable a Phenom II X4 9XX still is at gaming. The same can't be said for your 7850/70.

Game, and point, pleb.
#35BowsaaPosted 9/29/2013 2:21:18 PM(edited)
Google will show just how viable a Phenom II X4 9XX still is at gaming. The same can't be said for your 7850/70.

Google shows to me that Phenom IIs are showing their age in CPU bound situations. Sure, they run games ok, but something modern is a much better bet.

It also shows that my 7850 is managing just fine when paired with an adequate CPU- exactly like I've been experiencing. I may have some issues with AA/shadows etc as time goes on, but it's great as things stand. Also, a 7870 is significantly stronger then a 7850, just fyi.

You can keep trying, but, like I've been saying, getting a Phenom II with a budget of $600 is a stupid thing to do.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#36ctrl_alt_de1337Posted 9/29/2013 2:24:35 PM
Bowsaa posted...

Google shows to me that Phenom IIs are showing their age in CPU bound situations. Sure, they run games ok, but something modern is a much better bet.

It also shows that my 7850 is managing just fine when paired with an adequate CPU- exactly like I've been experiencing.. Also, a 7870 is significantly stronger then a 7850, just fyi.

You can keep trying, but, like I've been saying, getting a Phenom II with a budget of $600 is a stupid thing to do.

"CPU bound situations"

Okay, scrap every synthetic, and encoding benchmark. Where does that leave you?

Right, that leaves you at a Phenom running games more than "okay". Especially when you consider pairing it with a mid range card, such as a 78xxx series Radeon.

Remember what your original gripe was about? No, you obviously don't, as you've contradicted yourself multiple times in this thread. Stop breathing so heavily, bro, you're going to fog your glasses up.
#37BowsaaPosted 9/29/2013 2:36:21 PM
Okay, scrap every synthetic, and encoding benchmark. Where does that leave you?

RTS games, open world games, MMOs (hf with any AMD CPU and GW2), your Battlefields/Crysises, etc. There's a lot of stuff to choose from.

Right, that leaves you at a Phenom running games more than "okay". Especially when you consider pairing it with a mid range card, such as a 78xxx series Radeon.

In general, it will do ok. I myself said that. Buying one on a $600 build is still a stupid idea, and it is definitely showing its age- something that you really can't deny. In general, I wouldn't go much past a 7850 with a Phenom II though, unless there was some sort of upgrade planned for some time in the fairly near future.
---
#38Abyss89Posted 9/29/2013 3:13:50 PM
Recommending a phemon II in a build with the new consoles coming out in 2 months is complete stupidity....
The new console are being compared to a 7870 and they are going to have life cycle of around 7 years, so a 7870 is a good recommendation for a BUDGET build.
yes he wont get 60fps but this is a budge build do you think he cares?
also TC said he wanted to go nvidia...
#39JudgmenlPosted 9/29/2013 4:44:55 PM
tl'dr: If people are suggestion someone upgrade to a Phenom x4 from an E8400 they're not very smart.

Also lolamd
---
`1337_FF_GoD` - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://puu.sh/4AoGC.png
#40VoxwikPosted 9/29/2013 5:45:22 PM
Just to chime in on the Phenom II thing, I upgraded from a Phenom IIx4 965 to an i5 4670k and I had the GTX 460 video card. It was like a totally new GPU in Guild Wars 2 with the processor upgrade. I later upgraded to a GTX 760 and that helped too but by far the processor was the limiting factor there.

I know a game that taxes the CPU more is the exception and not the rule, but it does happen with that game in particular.