This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Take basic price of computer you already planned on buying. Add price of console

#1iPWNtheNoobsPosted 9/28/2013 3:02:34 PM
BAM! Now, when you were planning on doing normal computer stuff everything is so much faster, more efficient and more enjoyable.
When you plan on gaming, it is much better, games are cheaper, everything is much better.
---
Space Waster
#2KidInTheHallPosted 9/28/2013 3:04:33 PM
Maybe you should just stick to pwning noobs ok?
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#3iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 4:11:10 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
Maybe you should just stick to pwning noobs ok?

okay
---
Space Waster
#4strongo9Posted 9/28/2013 4:50:41 PM
I've always wondered why people try to compare a console to a PC of an equivalent price. Rather than buying a $400 - $500 console and a $300 PC, get a $700 - $800 PC. That is a better comparison.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#5Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/28/2013 5:30:27 PM
Most people do not use desktops now a days, it's laptops and tablets. That argument would have more merit a few years ago but desktop sales are slipping down the drain. How is this relevant? Not a lot of people are planning to buy a desktop anytime soon because their old from years ago is fine, however what they are buying are laptops and tablets.

So if you're buying a laptop and want to play games better than PS4, you better add another grand to that.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#6cow1578Posted 9/28/2013 5:55:06 PM(edited)
I love PC gaming as much as most people on this board. However, there is something very nice about sitting down on your couch and playing on a big screen with your surround sound system turned up.

"But wait," you say. "You can do all of that with a media center PC."

True, but then it isn't at my desk and I can't use it for all the PC stuff you just described.

I'll agree that in general the PC gaming experience is far superior BUT it is not the same as gaming on a console--at least not until you have a purpose built machine connected to your tv. At that point your cost comparison breaks down.

That's why I own a PC and a console. I love sitting on my couch. I also love modding games and free online. Screw paying a monthly fee to access peer-hosted multiplayer games. That's a boatload of crap.

TL;DR: Consoles fill a niche and there are substantial reasons why. However, PC gaming is a generally better experience.
---
What's your nationality?
Me? I'm a drunkard.
#7Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/28/2013 5:39:46 PM
cow1578 posted...
I love PC gaming as much as most people on this board. However, there is something very nice about sitting down on your couch and playing on a big screen with your surround sound system turned up.

"But wait," you say. "You can do all of that with a media center PC."

True, but then it isn't at my desk and I can't use it for all the PC stuff you just described.

I'll agree that in general the PC gaming experience is far superior BUT it is not the same as gaming on a console--at least not until you have a purpose built machine connected to your tv. At that point your cost comparison breaks down.

That's why I own a PC and a console. I love sitting on my couch. I also love modding games and free online. Screw paying a monthly fee to access peer-hosted multiplayer games. That's a boatload of crap.

TL;DR: Consoles fill a niche and there is are substantial reasons why. However, PC gaming is a generally better experience.

I agree, I'm the same way but I also like to add.. PC Online really isn't free, you pay for it with your information which the companies sell to others.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#8LazyyAmericanPosted 9/28/2013 5:51:11 PM
I've done the console thing for quite a while....but once you see the power of PCs you really just can't go back to no AA, sub 720p resolutions, and terrible framerate.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#9Combo MasterPosted 9/28/2013 8:18:46 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Most people do not use desktops now a days, it's laptops and tablets. That argument would have more merit a few years ago but desktop sales are slipping down the drain. How is this relevant? Not a lot of people are planning to buy a desktop anytime soon because their old from years ago is fine, however what they are buying are laptops and tablets.

So if you're buying a laptop and want to play games better than PS4, you better add another grand to that.

I cannot justify paying for a laptop because it costs a lot just to get one without an awful tn screen not mention for gaming. Desktop sales are going down in sales because as years go by more and more people realize it is cheaper to buy the pc parts and make it themselves or get someone else to.
---
Combo Master
#10YoungAdultLinkPosted 9/28/2013 8:29:53 PM
strongo9 posted...
I've always wondered why people try to compare a console to a PC of an equivalent price. Rather than buying a $400 - $500 console and a $300 PC, get a $700 - $800 PC. That is a better comparison.

Because the laptop they've had for 5 years is just fine for everything they use it for, already. If you happen to need a new computer and a new console at the same time, it makes more sense to just buy a strong computer. If you already have a desktop that does what you need it to, it makes perfect sense to buy a console.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya