This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If console gaming dies will PC go with it?

#11Tyranius2Posted 9/28/2013 6:28:51 PM
It will just mean we won't get games with hundreds of millions of dollars of budget. Less focus on graphics because they're expensive. More focus on gameplay. I'd like this.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#12AsucaHayashiPosted 9/28/2013 6:52:52 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
It will just mean we won't get games with hundreds of millions of dollars of budget. Less focus on graphics because they're expensive. More focus on gameplay. I'd like this.

those triple digit million games translate into cinematic hallway shooters at best with minimal involved gameplay.

what i would love to see is what would happen if firaxis had 100m+ to work with on the next civ or xcom or what frictional could come up with for the next amnesia etc.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#13LiquidDeePosted 9/28/2013 6:53:26 PM
No,it cannot happen because no one "owns" the pc platform.

But there would be a lack of big budget games right after a hypothetical disappearing of consoles.
#14su27ChaosPosted 9/28/2013 7:43:06 PM
Things will never die it's just stupid ass mainstream media will say it. Gaming overall will be underground like before.
---
American products is good go buy them.
#15above9000Posted 9/28/2013 7:44:09 PM
No... even if both "die" their are plenty of great old games that I have not played.

Plus I still have my GOG rpgs which are fun.
#16TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/28/2013 7:50:08 PM(edited)
Lootman posted...
PC gaming came first, PC gaming has and will always be better.
If consoles die, it'll be because of PC superiority.

That and the damn fact consoles are just becoming dumbed down PCs with less features.

Spoken like a true troll.

NES has far better game than PC from 1985-1990. N64, PS1, and Saturn had far better games than PC from 1994-1999. Need I go on?

The PC has never had the better games. It has only had the better experience due to the hardware freedom.

You PC elitists are a riot. The only period in time where I felt the PC had the best games was the short Id/3D Realms stint in the early to mid 90's.
#17steveboblarryPosted 9/28/2013 7:50:39 PM
knightimex posted...
We all know that the average $150 pc can max out every game on the market.
^ That's all good and gravy like.

But the real question is, can PC support it's own when it comes to major games?
Small time things such as indie games will still exist, but what about big guns like GTA V? Battlefield 4?
Major production games?

I don't think steam and origin's total combined install base has the ability to support gaming life as a whole without consoles.

So in reality, is console the life blood of pc gaming?

BACK PS4 TROLL BACK i SAY!!!!
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#18DontNouPosted 9/28/2013 7:56:06 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
Lootman posted...

That and the damn fact consoles are just becoming dumbed down PCs with less features.

NES has far better game than PC from 1985-1990. N64, PS1, and Saturn had far better games than PC from 1994-1999. Need I go on?

The PC has never had the better games. It has only had the better experience due to the hardware freedom.

You PC elitists are a riot. The only period in time where I felt the PC had the best games was the short Id/3D Realms stint in the early to mid 90's.

So true. But you know, "emulatorzzz" or some ****.
---
"I will blast you with concussive force!" - Galio
#19darkstar4221Posted 9/28/2013 8:23:39 PM(edited)
knightimex posted...
We all know that the average $150 pc can max out every game on the market.
^ That's all good and gravy like.

But the real question is, can PC support it's own when it comes to major games?
Small time things such as indie games will still exist, but what about big guns like GTA V? Battlefield 4?
Major production games?

I don't think steam and origin's total combined install base has the ability to support gaming life as a whole without consoles.

So in reality, is console the life blood of pc gaming?

Just imagine a world with no copyright law, imagine a world where piracy is legal, and infringing on copyright in any way (such as putting a modchip on your console) is not considered a criminal offense. Would there still be video games? Of course. Would there still be companies that want to make consoles or any other video game device? Of course, but the market would be much different then it is today though.

As long as there is a market and a demand for video games, people will make video games. If console dies, some other electronic manufacturer will make another console, PCs will be more popular, or tablets, whatever.
#20AsucaHayashiPosted 9/28/2013 8:45:51 PM(edited)
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
Lootman posted...

how many PC games have you even played during that period?

amiga easily matched the 8-16bit consoles in quality and variety and many PC games from this list could easily topple the console classics up to the end of the 5th gen(2000):
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/PC+gaming+awards

i wouldn't trade the gameplay experiences of planescape: torment, grim fandango, the secret or monkey island 1&2, civilization 2, age of empires 2, full throttle etc. etc. for anything.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/