This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't steam show a game as having controller support all the time?

#1staticxtreme5Posted 9/28/2013 7:46:40 PM
Just curious, because I installed Medal of Honor earlier and started it up. It didn't have any controller options anywhere, so I started using a KB/M. I got through about half of the first level and I decided to press a few buttons on my Xbox 360 gamepad I had plugged in. To my surprise it worked just fine! Why is it that Steam didn't say "controller support" or even "partial controller support"? Is this common? I'm even more curious now than ever since I have the Tomb Raider collection, but only like 2 of the games showed as having support. Makes me wonder if they all will.. Anyways, what gives?!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#2wizardmonPosted 9/28/2013 7:48:22 PM(edited)
Developers of the game mentioned have to add that to the feature list.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 7:54:32 PM
wizardmon posted...
Developers of the game mentioned have to add that to the feature list.

So then it isn't uncommon at all to find a game that works naturally with a controller, even when Steam doesn't mention it in the feature list?
---
#4AnatomyHorrorPosted 9/28/2013 8:09:30 PM
Most modern games that were on consoles have controller support.
#5staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 8:17:16 PM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Most modern games that were on consoles have controller support.

Yeah that's why I tried it. I thought to myself "this was on consoles as well, how can it not have some type of controller support?". I am more or less just surprised that it would not be advertised as having controller support on Steam because that would have to be at least a minor selling point for potential buyers. I feel like they should do a better job of identifying the games that do and don't have it...
---
#6DawnshadowPosted 9/28/2013 8:23:48 PM
Also, you can use third party programs to make your controller's button inputs register as key presses, or even mouse movements. Even without native support, you can coax a lot of games into accepting controller input. :)
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#7SteamsterPosted 9/28/2013 8:23:50 PM
S*** happens.

Valve frequently makes mistakes during sales and whatnot, so it's not hard to believe they wouldn't have a perfect track record on this.
#8TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/28/2013 8:32:35 PM
Also, I tried playing Medal of Honor, but the FOV is terrible. And it can't be changed, from what I've seen.

Good thing you found out the controller works, because you're probably going to want to sit far from the screen.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#9staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 8:35:24 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Also, I tried playing Medal of Honor, but the FOV is terrible. And it can't be changed, from what I've seen.

Good thing you found out the controller works, because you're probably going to want to sit far from the screen.

Heh, I got the game for free. I don't usually play military shooters so I probably won't play MoH too heavily, I was just trying it out. It seemed pretty cool from what I played, but I didn't play much.
---
#10poopninjamvc3mkPosted 9/28/2013 8:59:35 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...

The fov can be changed in the config file. You didn't even try to look.
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063467937.png Deleted my old sig since some mod apparantly got offended because I mentioned Penn State.