This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone recommend me a Mechanical Keyboard?

#31_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/30/2013 3:31:07 PM(edited)
I should note that not everyone agrees that Costar stabilizers feel better, though many people agree that they provide a more consistent feel between the stabilized keys and the rest of the keyboard. They are however, a little more loose and some complain they rattle a little bit. Cherry stabilizers have a more "solid" feel with less rattle, but make stabilized keys feel more different from the rest of the keyboard. Some describe them as feeling "mushy" which is not entirely fair, but in comparison to the feel of Costar stabilizers I get why people make that comment. The reason why I point it out is because I personally feel that the choice of stabilizer has a significant effect on how the keyboard feels as a whole, and should not be overlooked when you are spending upwards of 100 dollar on a keyboard.

The Quickfire rapid comes in browns , blacks, reds and blues if I am not mistaken. Though there are some differences depending on where you purchase them. In Holland (where I live) for example they are only available in reds.

About the drivers for Corsair. When they first released their Vengeance peripherals they had many driver issues. The drivers were practically in a beta state and it took ages for them to fix it. When that interferes with basic use of the product that is a red flag as far as I am concerned. Regarding their keyboards like the K90, the most annoying lingering issue was that sometimes keys would be repeated when only pressed once. However, it does seem like since then, they have been able to weed out the biggest problems with their drivers.

Back-lighting is another one of those personal subjective things. I personally do not like it for a couple of reasons. Whether I am gaming or typing, there are actually not a lot of moments where I stop to look at the keyboard, and I think that goes for most people. So most of the time, the backlight is just a distracting glow coming from beneath the monitor. The other thing is that it adds about a 108 individual things (the leds) to the keyboard that can break, and are probably now the component of the keyboard that are most prone to break. When it comes to readability, I am actually not even that big of a fan of backlight. Under most lighting conditions (except pitch black) I prefer a nice calm font in a contrasting color to the keycap. It is easier on my eyes, especially compared to some backlight colors like blue (red is a lot better somehow imo). Finally, I tend to switch out the keycaps at some point. If you are a heavy user, then most of the cheap ABS keycaps that come with most keyboards will get shiny, the pad-printing will fade over time etc. With a backlight, replacing the keycaps is not as easy if you want to still make use of the backlight, since 3rd party keycaps typically do not have transparent legends to use with such a keyboard.

But then again, maybe you type a lot in pitch black and do need to look at the keyboard for some reason. Or maybe you just enjoy a backlight because it can look cool. I think they can look pretty cool as well. Though a more subtle, simple look can be really cool as well.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#32KrozardPosted 10/3/2013 12:43:29 AM
As I said, I got my Ducky Shine 3 earlier today, and even though I've only used it for a few hours so far I've done quite a bit of typing on it (programming homework), I love everything about it from the backlighting modes to how it feels to type on...

I kept seeing people saying how much better it is to type on a mechanical keyboard than on a rubber dome one and I thought they were just exaggerating, but now that I actually have one, I know it's not an exaggeration at all. I just tried to type on my old rubber dome keyboard after using this one most of today and it felt so wrong, almost mushy, as if I were typing on applesauce. I don't think I can ever go back honestly and I almost feel like ordering a second, cheaper one to bring with me to class so I don't have to use their cheap HP keyboards.

As for the build quality, it feels strong, I think I could actually use this to fend off a zombie should an invasion ever happen...

I got one with brown keys, and while it is louder to type on than a rubber dome, it's nowhere near as loud as blues would have been, although if I had a roommate I think it might still be enough to keep him awake. I hear there are o-rings or something that can be placed on the switch to each key to minimize the sound, and I'm guessing it also changes the feel of key presses so I haven't even bothered to look into that at all yet.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Marc/simple
#33Sc24lifePosted 10/3/2013 12:58:31 AM
Krozard posted...
I almost feel like ordering a second, cheaper one to bring with me to class so I don't have to use their cheap HP keyboards.

Please don't... you don't want to be that guy.
---
"planetside 2 would only have 30 people running around on a small map fighting."
- GunWolfAlpha
#34KrozardPosted 10/3/2013 1:22:12 AM
Sc24life posted...
Krozard posted...
I almost feel like ordering a second, cheaper one to bring with me to class so I don't have to use their cheap HP keyboards.

Please don't... you don't want to be that guy.

I wouldn't do blues, I'm not THAT inconsiderate...
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Marc/simple
#35SnipeStarPosted 10/3/2013 2:14:22 AM
i'm surprised nobody has recommended deck keyboards
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01