This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Dishonored not get a ton of attention?

#31xBrokenxHaloxPosted 9/29/2013 8:37:05 PM
Ch3wy posted...
Loshadt posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Either way, point still stands.

And my point was that the only thing Dishonored would have over games released ten years ago (or earlier) would be graphics.

I know, you're wrong there. Way wrong.

Wrong indeed. I don't know why these game haters emerge out of nowhere sometimes.
---
Just so I can type in CAPS
#32overkillwfo1978Posted 9/29/2013 8:39:50 PM
I thought it was good at the beginning and then about 1/3 of the way in, completely lost interest. Honestly, if it isn't a huge open world with heavy RPG elements, I'm probably not interested nowadays. Games like Borderlands 2 have spoiled me. Dishonored felt like it was tightly on rails, one checkpoint to the next. I can only be bothered to play open, "go anywhere, do anything" games nowadays.

.... that is when I'm not reaching for top 20 scores in Pac-Man DX+...
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#33LoshadtPosted 9/29/2013 8:40:53 PM
I'm not a hater, the game has legitimate flaws that would be just as easily recognized ten years ago as they are now, maybe more so because mediocre hand-holding games that last as long as a nap weren't considered par for the course back then.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#34strongo9Posted 9/29/2013 8:45:23 PM
It was too short.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#35SenkoyPosted 9/29/2013 8:45:24 PM
I'll get it when I see it for $5 to see if it's good.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#36Ch3wyPosted 9/29/2013 8:50:24 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...
I'm not a hater, the game has legitimate flaws that would be just as easily recognized ten years ago as they are now, maybe more so because mediocre hand-holding games that last as long as a nap weren't considered par for the course back then.

I have 17 hours of gameplay clocked in it from one playthrough. That is long for an FPS type game. Before you criticize me for being bad at it or some stupid ****, let me give you this link:http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2602

The things you consider flaws aren't real flaws, the game just isn't made the exact way you wanted it to be made. Any minor flaws it may have would be overlooked by the revolutionary gameplay mechanics from the future it would have.

Also, I assume you turned the handholding stuff like quest markers off, right? Since you hate hand holding so much.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#37DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/29/2013 8:49:33 PM
Bioshock would have easily turned heads a decade ago. That kind of narrative and presentation in a game of that time was quite uncommon.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#38LoshadtPosted 9/29/2013 8:50:27 PM
Ch3wy posted...
The things you consider flaws aren't real flaws, the game just isn't made the exact way you wanted it to be made. Any minor flaws it may have would be overlooked by the revolutionary gameplay mechanics from the future it would have.

What revolutionary gameplay mechanics? Sneaking? Stabbing? Magic? Collecting s***? Because that's the only thing the game brings to the table, and Thief, a series that is MORE than ten years old now has done all of these mechanics infinitely better than Dishonored. Like I said before, it isn't bad, but everything it does is executed in a half-hearted manner and it shows.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#39Bazooka_PenguinPosted 9/29/2013 8:51:27 PM
Dishonored was a great game. Presentation wise, the story was mediocre, the characters weren't too interesting (except for a few), but the art-style was fantastic.

Now, the gameplay mechanics themselves were great. Spellcasting and whatnot meshed very well with the fluid (but unfortunately simple) melee combat as well as the movement. There weren't any clunky mechanics that frustrated me or annoyed me and it actually made playing the game a pleasure. That said, the best part was the level-design and the freedom is offered. PCH really loves Crysis for offering "freedom" and Dishonored basically offers similar freedom on a smaller scale, but with greater involvement with more movement abilities (climbing, teleporting, possession, etc.) and abilities that affect your opportunity to move (a better stealth system, time warp, sleeping dart, traps, etc.).
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#40Ch3wyPosted 9/29/2013 8:55:20 PM
Loshadt posted...
Ch3wy posted...

What revolutionary gameplay mechanics? Sneaking? Stabbing? Magic? Collecting s***? Because that's the only thing the game brings to the table, and Thief, a series that is MORE than ten years old now has done all of these mechanics infinitely better than Dishonored. Like I said before, it isn't bad, but everything it does is executed in a half-hearted manner and it shows.

What Bazooka said. You're just attacking a straw man here, it's not as simple as what different things you can do in the game.

It's definitely one of the most fluid games I've ever played. That kind of fluidity 10 years ago would have people pooping their pants.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.