This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Linux good for programming?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 9/29/2013 8:29:33 PM
If so, which version is better?.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2freezemanPosted 9/29/2013 9:28:14 PM
It's good to learn how to use a terminal to compile stuff rather than an IDE. I always advise people to at least learn their way around a linux file system, as scripting (bash,perl,python,etc..) is excellently paired with the linux environment.

Are you asking which version of linux? I'd imagine any stable release will be fine. If you're unsure, just get whatever's the most popular at the moment (usually something like Ubuntu).
---
"The car in my battery died??? wtf" - Richie259
#3ctrl_alt_de1337Posted 9/29/2013 9:44:10 PM
If you want an easy transition into Linux, I'd recommend check Mint out.
#4New LinkPosted 10/2/2013 12:45:14 PM
Linux is a programmer's dreamhome, most distros come with at least a basic tool-set to start coding immediately after installation. Of course not all languages are covered out-of-the-box, but in the gnu toolset alone (shipped with 99% of distributions) you get yourself a C and C++ compiler, bash, which also interprets bourne shell, tcsh, and zsh. Most also come with python and ruby out of the box, albeit right now as both languages are at a transition point you may need to manually grab the correct version. Personally I use Slackware for all of my computing needs, but any distro will do. Most also ship with either vim or emacs, some with both. It doesn't matter which you use, but these are the best two code editors known to man and each of them are ridiculously more productive to use than the other editors available (notepad++, sublime-text (without the vim plugin, that's cheating :P) gedit, visual studio's code editor, etc.)
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#5wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 12:51:36 PM
I really loved to use Kate with a command line embedded in the bottom of part of it for instant debugging/testing of the code.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6neroAngeloPosted 10/2/2013 12:54:34 PM
Not really. Windows is much nicer to code in. It has better IDEs and you usually don't have to care about permissions
---
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#7Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 12:56:58 PM
neroAngelo posted...
Not really. Windows is much nicer to code in. It has better IDEs and you usually don't have to care about permissions

So it atrophies the programmers brain and provides crutches.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#8CC RicersPosted 10/2/2013 12:57:45 PM
I use Windows and Mac but I find it much nicer to use the command line to manage files and especially Git. I haven't gone back to GUIs with source control again.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#9NingishzidaPosted 10/2/2013 1:06:59 PM
Every OS is good for programming.
#10JudgmenlPosted 10/2/2013 1:10:54 PM
No, there's no actual difference. I don't know where people get this misconception from.
---
`1337_FF_GoD` - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://puu.sh/4AoGC.png - Opinions =/= Truth.