This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Linux good for programming?

#21IronSasquatchPosted 10/3/2013 8:09:58 AM
New Link posted...
The only reason you "don't have to care about permissions" in windows is because windows itself is a fisher-price toy of an operating system. Visual Studio does have a lot of features that make bad programmers. I have no problem creating a qt/c++ gui application using nothing but vim and gcc. Can you (literally you yourself, not "someone once did it") create a full graphical application in C# using just a text editor and a compiler? (not visual studio's compiler.)

Furthermore, Visual Studio's own editor is just garbage when compared to vim or emacs, and C# itself is a horrible horrible language with black-box calls that you will never know why they work the way they do.

Honestly, isn't this more of a matter of taste and personal preference? If someone just wants to develop a product and make sure that it runs properly, does it really matter if they know how to compile it in the command line or see the inner workings of every single function they use? It seems like a colossal waste of time for someone who just wants to make usable software and doesn't care about knowing every intimate detail.

I really don't get this kind of argument. It's akin to me asking if you (personally you) know how to make that same gui by first creating your computer from scratch, wiring and building the whole thing, one transistor at a time.

TL;DR - Not everyone cares about all those details.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#22Worknofun370Posted 10/3/2013 8:30:37 AM
Orestes417 posted...

Any way you look at it ignoring permissions in this day and age is brain damage. Hell it was brain damage back in the DOS days but it got a pass because we were one step away from an abacus.

^^^^^^ THIS! Holy crap that....

Seriously, if you're going to be a lazy programmer, don't program.

Sincerely,
Everyone who works in IT.
#23Worknofun370Posted 10/3/2013 8:35:57 AM
IronSasquatch posted...

Honestly, isn't this more of a matter of taste and personal preference? If someone just wants to develop a product and make sure that it runs properly, does it really matter if they know how to compile it in the command line or see the inner workings of every single function they use? It seems like a colossal waste of time for someone who just wants to make usable software and doesn't care about knowing every intimate detail.

I really don't get this kind of argument. It's akin to me asking if you (personally you) know how to make that same gui by first creating your computer from scratch, wiring and building the whole thing, one transistor at a time.

In my experience (which is anecdotal) The good programmers care about those details because they want to learn as much as possible. The crappy programmers that just want to push out software and don't care.

Of course that won't apply to anyone and everyone... but I personally think it's pretty accurate, and logically makes sense.
#24cancerstormPosted 10/3/2013 8:49:38 AM
vim with modified vimrc + gcc/g++
and multiple terminal windows

this is how i've always coded c/c++
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#25OrpheanBeholderPosted 10/3/2013 9:40:55 AM
harcoreblazer posted...
If so, which version is better?.

I prefer Linux 3.11, download it here: https://www.kernel.org/
---
ScryDoubt
#26ShubPosted 10/3/2013 9:46:06 AM
OrpheanBeholder posted...
harcoreblazer posted...

y u so mean?!
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#27Worknofun370Posted 10/3/2013 9:48:04 AM
OrpheanBeholder posted...
harcoreblazer posted...

You're a Stallman fan aren't ya?
#28New LinkPosted 10/3/2013 10:22:50 AM
IronSasquatch posted...
New Link posted...
The only reason you "don't have to care about permissions" in windows is because windows itself is a fisher-price toy of an operating system. Visual Studio does have a lot of features that make bad programmers. I have no problem creating a qt/c++ gui application using nothing but vim and gcc. Can you (literally you yourself, not "someone once did it") create a full graphical application in C# using just a text editor and a compiler? (not visual studio's compiler.)

Furthermore, Visual Studio's own editor is just garbage when compared to vim or emacs, and C# itself is a horrible horrible language with black-box calls that you will never know why they work the way they do.

The editors can be 'a matter of taste' so long as you mean "i prefer vim to emacs" or visa-versa, as they are objectively superior to any other editors available.

And to answer your question, yes, I can build a computer from scratch, one transistor at a time, set up my own LFS on it, write my own package management system, and start coding the application.

You're right, not everyone cares about those details, and that's why we have crashing applications, memory leaks, and segfaults.

It's kinda like websites, there are those sites that work well in every browser because the coder knew what she/he was doing, and then there are those ASP.NET shops who require a client-side .net framework and internet explorer 6-9 (10+ requires compatibility mode) to properly use it. It's a direct result of the developers using those crappy black-box tools which causes this issue.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!