This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else use their phone tethered to their pc to play online?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anybody else use their phone tethered to their pc to play online?

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
3 years ago#1
Just curious as many people out there either have crappy connections or no internet at all. I currently can only get a 1.5mb connection at my residence and while that would be sufficient to play online if I were the only one using it my wife constantly uses Netflix and youtube so unless I play when she is doing something else or asleep it's impossible to play online.

after using my phone for several months now to play online I actually have a better ping in most games.. usually stays around 15 to 20 unlike my hard line connection that stayed between 50 and 70. it's capped at 5 gigs a month but I never update or download on my phone. it last me all month with a few hundred mb's left over.

Just curious if anybody else does this and what results did you get from it. I know it's not optimal and sad that half a mile up the road I could get fiber with a 50 mb connection but that's not a option.
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585

User Info: Talks

Talks
3 years ago#2
I can't imagine that not causing massive ping. Even if your speed is fast enough, I doubt it will be playable.

I'm not speaking from experience though. You might as well try.
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
3 years ago#3
Talks posted...
I can't imagine that not causing massive ping. Even if your speed is fast enough, I doubt it will be playable.

... I do use it. guess it helps that I have 4g LTE in my area. Best ping ive ever had on any connection so far lol.
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585

User Info: hakujo

hakujo
3 years ago#4
4G LTE is a different story. lol
*Please sign here _____________.*

User Info: synthetiksin

synthetiksin
3 years ago#5
My buddy uses his 4g lte phone whenever he games at work (since business internet is ****) and his ping is unbelievably low.

User Info: vikithewaffu

vikithewaffu
3 years ago#6
how much data does online multiplayer use anyway?
I have considering a new data plan for lte.
Well, Raja did say something about Lucretia being 3 steps ahead of everyone else...that means she's better than Batman, who is only 2 steps ahead.

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#7
josh_b posted...
Talks posted...

... I do use it. guess it helps that I have 4g LTE in my area. Best ping ive ever had on any connection so far lol.

Can you post a speedtest? I wonder what sort of ping you get. The problem isn't the speed, it is that you are using a satellite, which causes massive ping. It's funny, with 4G LTE I get speeds faster than my ISP, but I still wouldn't use it for gaming.

Funny story, one time I tried using my phone as a tether while on a train and I tried to play World of Warcraft LOL. It... was not pretty. I couldn't imagine being on a train going over 100mph trying to catch a satellite signal would work well.
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

User Info: ein311

ein311
3 years ago#8
When I'm traveling and staying in hotels I use my phone's connection if it's in a spot with LTE. It's always faster than hotel internet. Even with, say, HSPA+, I'll still find that to be much better than the hotel internet in most situations.

I only really play Guild Wars 2 on my laptop, though. It's not a powerhouse and I just don't like using a laptop for gaming so I don't try to play anything else.

Works well enough to kill time between meetings/etc.
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#9
Slayn posted...
The problem isn't the speed, it is that you are using a satellite, which causes massive ping.

What makes you think its using a satellite? It uses towers which are hardwired into the 'network'.
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 years ago#10
Lol, you let your wife use the internet when you're playing? I certainly wouldn't, or I'd limit her to browsing facebook.

Men these days... It's like they don't cherish freedom. In a relationship, I make the rules or there's the door.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anybody else use their phone tethered to their pc to play online?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived