This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else use their phone tethered to their pc to play online?

#1josh_bPosted 9/29/2013 10:35:36 PM
Just curious as many people out there either have crappy connections or no internet at all. I currently can only get a 1.5mb connection at my residence and while that would be sufficient to play online if I were the only one using it my wife constantly uses Netflix and youtube so unless I play when she is doing something else or asleep it's impossible to play online.

after using my phone for several months now to play online I actually have a better ping in most games.. usually stays around 15 to 20 unlike my hard line connection that stayed between 50 and 70. it's capped at 5 gigs a month but I never update or download on my phone. it last me all month with a few hundred mb's left over.

Just curious if anybody else does this and what results did you get from it. I know it's not optimal and sad that half a mile up the road I could get fiber with a 50 mb connection but that's not a option.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#2TalksPosted 9/29/2013 10:37:29 PM
I can't imagine that not causing massive ping. Even if your speed is fast enough, I doubt it will be playable.

I'm not speaking from experience though. You might as well try.
---
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg
#3josh_b(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2013 10:42:47 PM
Talks posted...
I can't imagine that not causing massive ping. Even if your speed is fast enough, I doubt it will be playable.

... I do use it. guess it helps that I have 4g LTE in my area. Best ping ive ever had on any connection so far lol.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#4pk je3busPosted 9/29/2013 10:52:12 PM
4G LTE is a different story. lol
---
*Please sign here _____________.*
#5synthetiksinPosted 9/29/2013 10:53:49 PM
My buddy uses his 4g lte phone whenever he games at work (since business internet is ****) and his ping is unbelievably low.
#6vikithewaffuPosted 9/29/2013 10:54:45 PM
how much data does online multiplayer use anyway?
I have considering a new data plan for lte.
---
Well, Raja did say something about Lucretia being 3 steps ahead of everyone else...that means she's better than Batman, who is only 2 steps ahead.
#7SlaynPosted 9/29/2013 10:56:59 PM
josh_b posted...
Talks posted...

... I do use it. guess it helps that I have 4g LTE in my area. Best ping ive ever had on any connection so far lol.

Can you post a speedtest? I wonder what sort of ping you get. The problem isn't the speed, it is that you are using a satellite, which causes massive ping. It's funny, with 4G LTE I get speeds faster than my ISP, but I still wouldn't use it for gaming.

Funny story, one time I tried using my phone as a tether while on a train and I tried to play World of Warcraft LOL. It... was not pretty. I couldn't imagine being on a train going over 100mph trying to catch a satellite signal would work well.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#8ein311Posted 9/29/2013 11:45:58 PM
When I'm traveling and staying in hotels I use my phone's connection if it's in a spot with LTE. It's always faster than hotel internet. Even with, say, HSPA+, I'll still find that to be much better than the hotel internet in most situations.

I only really play Guild Wars 2 on my laptop, though. It's not a powerhouse and I just don't like using a laptop for gaming so I don't try to play anything else.

Works well enough to kill time between meetings/etc.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#9DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/29/2013 11:57:12 PM
Slayn posted...
The problem isn't the speed, it is that you are using a satellite, which causes massive ping.

What makes you think its using a satellite? It uses towers which are hardwired into the 'network'.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#10Tyranius2Posted 9/30/2013 12:34:49 AM
Lol, you let your wife use the internet when you're playing? I certainly wouldn't, or I'd limit her to browsing facebook.

Men these days... It's like they don't cherish freedom. In a relationship, I make the rules or there's the door.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[