This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sorry, but Counter Strike GO sucks

#191DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/2/2013 6:01:13 PM(edited)
Hopefully this can help make things a little more strategic in BF4.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/features/commander-mode

Doubtful though as it seems like its just a way to add in 'killstreaks' for the team.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#192Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 6:14:48 PM
In pubs, no it won't do much to make BF4 more strategic, Just like it didn't in BFs prior to Bad Company. As for killstreaks, what do you think the vehicles are?
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#193DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/2/2013 6:15:59 PM
Orestes417 posted...
As for killstreaks, what do you think the vehicles are?

Easy kills for a couple engies? xD
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#194JonWood007Posted 10/2/2013 8:22:31 PM

I don't believe I've implied that, but if I have let me make it clear I am not in anyway saying if you don't like a game to shut up about it. I'm saying to understand the difference between an actual flaw and an opinion/preference.

If CS's mechanics are so good, why do no other games emulate them? Every other series has nice, well polished mechanics. On the other hand, CS has the same mechanics for 15 years.

If you read what i've posted I've mentioned multiple times that there is absolutely nothing wrong with disliking the game or the style. I don't take any issues with saying "I hated the mechanics of the game, I would point and shoot and miss. Just don't like it." That's completely fine to me. It's the fact that you're claiming what you don't like is a flaw, and that the people who do like it are nothing but raving fanboys that are in denial that I take issue with.

Orestes made the claim that the game was outdated, and I expressed my own view on the issue....it IS outdated. CS still has 90s era mechanics. As I said, no other game really even tries to emulate CS's mechanics. Why? Because they're not user friendly.

I have yet to see a single person have that mindset in this topic. You seem to be arguing a strawman.

Fair enough, but I will say that I have actually encountered people like that before, and even see some aspects of that in this topic (after all, my skills did, predictably, come into question).

Name a better shooter. BF? You better not say BF.

Depends how you define "better". If you're looking for a high level competitive game that's not an arena shooter like UT or Quake 3, you may be hard pressed. If we're talking about anything OTHER than competitive play....oh....well.....tons of games. Planetside 2 features 2000 players on a single map, with each map larger than the world in skyrim. It's a freaking technological marvel, and is probably one of the "best"/most fun games I've ever played. COD, may be kind of repetitive, but it has good shooting mechanics IMO. So does Battlefield 3. TF2 excels in terms of its balance and being finely tuned. Heck, it probably is rather competitive in itself. Tribes Ascend is a blast, and is also rather skill based. BC2 is just a flat out fun game to play. BF3 can be fun, but it has the best shooting mechanics of the series, although it has balance issues at times.

When I look back at CSGO after looking at all of these other games, here's what I see. I see a rather balanced game. I see a game that at least on some maps can offer high level competitive play, but as far as the whole fun factor goes, it's just...meh. The mechanics feel old and outdated, the game play doesn't have the same novelty it probably did back in 1999 or so. It's still a good game, and yes, it has its strengths. But it doesn't excel at anything beyond competitive play. It's not the best looking shooter, nor the most fun, nor the one with the best mechanics, nor the one with the best premise behind it. I mean, to be fair, no game excels at everything, and therefore, an FPS being better than CS is really dependent on by what criteria we are judging by. If we wanna go back to shooting mechanics, I'd argue most shooters are better. Nearly every shooter mentioned above, IMO, has better weapon mechanics than CS. All the battlefields, all the CODs, TF2, Planetside 2, the list goes on. Heck, the only games with WORSE shooting mechanics IMO are low budget games, some mods, and those crappy korean FPS games.

Also, keep in mind I don't even think CS is a bad game. It has its strengths. I just think it's grossly overrated for what it is.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#195itzzsinnedPosted 10/2/2013 9:46:12 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
This does not mean that Strategy and Teamwork are not vital. It simply means that they are different from 1.6

It's pretty simple, if Teamwork and Strategy were not vital in CS:GO then we wouldn't see teamwork and strategy in CS:GO Tournaments.... we do, and a lot of it. Those that don't work well as a team, or have a poor strategy typically do not win. Those that do typically win. You're going to have to do a hell of a lot to convince me that teamwork and strategy are not vital when I have that type of evidence staring me in the face.

It's simply a different technique, than 1.6. That doesn't mean that teamwork and strategy are out the window ya know.

You seem to be under the belief that since teamwork and strategy aren't AS vital as they were in 1.6 that they are somehow not vital now... That's just not true.

Your "evidence" is pointing to the Europeans who have mastered pretty much every game. If we look at the North American scene, there are no teams with great teamplay. An example would be Curse Gaming at the last ESEA lan.

Also, peeker's advantage is not a different technique. It's taking a core mechanic from 1.6, which is holding angles and playing smart, and basically telling you that you need to play like an idiot to win now.

Anyway this will be my last post here. There's no point in arguing with people who haven't scrimmed against invite teams, something that has allowed me to see how pathetic CS:GO's competitive scene is.
#196DaedalusExPosted 10/3/2013 1:22:12 AM
JonWood007 posted...
If CS's mechanics are so good, why do no other games emulate them?

As I said, no other game really even tries to emulate CS's mechanics. Why? Because they're not user friendly.

Here's your problem:

Good =/= popular
User friendly =/= good

Companies emulate what's popular, not what's good. What's good isn't necessarily popular, and what's popular isn't necessarily good. User friendly is inherently popular, but again, that isn't necessarily good.
#197mess98Posted 10/3/2013 1:28:28 AM
Wrong.
It doesn't suck... you just don't like it.

Huge difference.
---
Core i7 4770, Geforce GTX 660 Ti, 8GB Ram
#198Worknofun370Posted 10/3/2013 7:32:14 AM(edited)
itzzsinned posted...

Your "evidence" is pointing to the Europeans who have mastered pretty much every game. If we look at the North American scene, there are no teams with great teamplay. An example would be Curse Gaming at the last ESEA lan.

This doesn't argue against my point that teamwork and strategy aren't vital. Just that there aren't great NA teams (which, I don't completely agree with... but that's another discussion entirely.)

Also, peeker's advantage is not a different technique. It's taking a core mechanic from 1.6, which is holding angles and playing smart, and basically telling you that you need to play like an idiot to win now.

That sounds like.... a different technique.

Anyway this will be my last post here. There's no point in arguing with people who haven't scrimmed against invite teams, something that has allowed me to see how pathetic CS:GO's competitive scene is.

hahaha, OK Buddy, you keep appealing to authority since you can't actually support your points.
#199Worknofun370Posted 10/3/2013 7:38:52 AM
JonWood007 posted...
If CS's mechanics are so good, why do no other games emulate them? Every other series has nice, well polished mechanics. On the other hand, CS has the same mechanics for 15 years.

Because they're not trying to be CS? Just because people aren't copying your mechanics to a T doesn't mean they're poor.

I'm also skeptical that no game has tried to copy them or use similar mechanics... BUT I simply don't play a wide range of FPS so I'm certainly not in a position to argue against that point.

Orestes made the claim that the game was outdated, and I expressed my own view on the issue....it IS outdated. CS still has 90s era mechanics. As I said, no other game really even tries to emulate CS's mechanics. Why? Because they're not user friendly.

I don't disagree that CS's mechanics haven't changed much since the game was released. That does not mean that the mechanics are poor, or outdated.

Also, to me at least, good mechanics doesn't necessarily mean they're "user friendly." That being said (and I'm sure this will make you oh so happy) I don't feel that CS's mechanics are user un-friendly.
#200JonWood007Posted 10/3/2013 11:08:06 AM
Well, let me ask this to the people saying there's nothing wrong with CS's mechanics.....how long have you been playing? Is it possible that you've been playing CS for so long that you just don't notice the aged feel of the mechanics? Imagine you're a heavy smoker. You smoke so much that you don't even notice the horrible odor smoking has. You walk into your house, and barely notice it at all, because you live in a house polluted by smoker smell. You're used to it, it doesn't bother you. But then someone who is a non smoker walks in and thinks your house reeks.

Or, how about this. You drink strong alcohol all the time. You drink it so much you've grown to like it and the bitter taste doesn't bother you. Then a sheltered 21 year old who has never drank alcohol walks into the bar, sits next to you, and orders a drink. He takes one sip, spits it out, and thinks it takes horrible.

Or, take this blind sense of American exceptionalism that people often have here in the US. We refuse to even look at what the rest of the world is doing as far as stuff like education and healthcare, because we automatically believe our way is the best. A certain presidental candidate recently said that his opponent draws his ideas from the halls of europe, blah blah blah, while he gets his from the mainland of America or something like that. A lot of the people who buy into this kind of political marketing have little understanding of multiculturalism, and are rather sheltered and closed minded.

CS is a lot like that. A lot of the people who say there's nothing wrong with CS are acclimated to the mechanics. They've played them for years, and therefore don't see the problem with them. However, then you have new players, players who are more acclimated to other shooters, begin playing, and, well, the game feels awkward. They shoot, even burst fire, but still can't hit anything. They don't get it. They play many other FPS games, and never have this problem, but coming into CS, they see the mechanics as awkward and nonsensical. While it is possible to acclimate yourself to the mechanics, it just kinda seems pointless when there are many other games that can just jump right into. When a CS player is like, oh, you need to literally put hundreds of hours into a game to learn the mechanics (and yes, I've actually had people say this, this is NOT hyperbole) and get "good" at the game, a lot of people are just gonna be like screw this and play something else.

So really, I'd really encourage you to look at CS as a newbie would. I've noticed some people in this topic (most notably worknofun) don't really have a broad understanding of FPS games other than CS. I do. I play them all. I've played Quake, UT, Tribes, CS, COD, BF, Planetside, TF2, a wide variety of crappy korean FPSes, Arma at different points in my life. I may not have extensive experience in them all, but I can at least familiar with the general game play styles that those games offer.

As I said, CS has its strengths, but it is particularly weak in comparison with other FPSes as far as this one important aspect of the game goes. While CS may be finely tuned for competitive play, it really offers little otherwise. It's not the best looking shooter, nor the most impressive, nor has the best mechanics, nor has really unique game play anymore. It's just....average. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad game. All I'm trying to say is that it's overrated, and that many other games do many things better than CS does. To a newer player, not one who has played since 1.6 or earlier, but someone who is well versed in other shooters, and has gotten into the game at any time during this previous console gen, CS isn't impressive at all. I can see why CS was super popular back in its hay day honestly, but by modern standards, it just seems like an okay game that's grossly overhyped.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768