This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

30 years on, do you think the Gaming crash of 1983 could happen again?

#31NingishzidaPosted 9/30/2013 3:53:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#32DexterTheThirdPosted 9/30/2013 3:50:12 PM
The gaming market of the early 80s was filled with imperfect information and no quality control - there literally was no way to tell whether the game you bought at the store was gold or junk, and rogue programmers were rampant in their ploy to ream you for easy bucks.

We have too much information on whether a game is good or bad these days, with review sites and user feedback. Companies may rise and fall, but the industry itself is big enough to survive.
---
Formerly known as Hero Fly Chao.
"Last Of Us is a typical dudebro FPS" -coolguy_23
#33Fou LuPosted 9/30/2013 3:51:25 PM
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

Nope. Sony and Microsoft could both fall (Sony being on the verge of it), and the PC will always be there. They were still making games on computer after Atari went belly-up, and with Valve getting into the market, it pretty much guarantees PC will never die when it comes to gaming.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#34NicodimusPosted 9/30/2013 3:53:42 PM
Kageblade23 posted...
cuteboi100 posted...
Knight2520 posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
They are bigger than movies now.

They're not quite that big, but they're not small either.

Not that big? When was the last time you saw a movie make $800m on its first day?

movies don't cost as much as video games do 15$ 60$ per unit/ticket sold that's hardly a fair comparisson

If you're going to make that argument, then far more people can afford to go see a cheap $15 movie than buy a $60 game, so it's totally fair to count the dollar amount.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#35vind3dPosted 9/30/2013 3:54:08 PM
Actually things might have come close to crashing in Nov 2013. Just think what would have happened if MS has not changed it's initial policies for the XBoxOne and Sony had adopted a similar policy for the PS4! O.O;
---
SE may have another FF hit on their hands with FFX/X-2 HD. Perhaps the biggest FF since, well, FFX. :p
#36NingishzidaPosted 9/30/2013 3:57:11 PM
the taste of gamers crashed about 10 years ago

games will remain in this sad state for another 10 years, until non-traditional gaming demographics get up to speed with young Western men to whom games have been made by and for since the beginning.

in the meantime, i am supplied with a seemingly limitless supply of games/gamers to mock for dire lack of sophistication, blatant gender, ethnic and sexual orientation pandering (ie, sucking up to max profits/ meeting political lobbyist quota content), and overall casualness and insipidity
#37Gandalf the IstariPosted 9/30/2013 4:00:47 PM
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

You're not allowed to have an opinion any more because your understanding of finance and reality is too poor for you to contribute.
---
PSN: ck_22_c GT: ckc22
NA 3DS: 0533 - 4509 - 1310
#38DarkGam3rPosted 9/30/2013 4:03:29 PM
For as long as parents give games to children, a crash won't happen. (Adults aren't the majority of gamers.)

Once kids' games reach an all time low, word will spread that videogames don't deliver what they promise; fun.
---
As gamers get older there's an expectation for games to mature with us, but the fact remains that simple fun with friends will never go out of style
#39Motobug321Posted 9/30/2013 4:08:31 PM
I think, if another crash happens, it'll happen because of the ridiculously over-sized budgets these companies are using (and going bankrupt on) to make games with.
#40KillerTrufflePosted 9/30/2013 4:16:49 PM
Like I said - any sort of crash that may come will be mitigated by indie developers. And in those cases, PC gaming is actually set to survive FAR more easily than consoles.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23