This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

30 years on, do you think the Gaming crash of 1983 could happen again?

#41DerPancakePosted 9/30/2013 5:20:30 PM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

You're not allowed to have an opinion any more because your understanding of finance and reality is too poor for you to contribute.

The WiiU is destined to fail. Android devices destroy the 3DS in sales, so its pretty obvious Nintendo's next handheld will not be successful. Nintendo lost the casual market, and its losing third party companies as well. So how do I not understand finance, yes the Wii brought them lots of money and right now their handhelds are doing good, but doesn't mean it will last.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#42R i c kPosted 9/30/2013 5:23:28 PM(edited)
There were two big issues that helped the crash that are no longer issues so I don't think it's likely to happen again. The issues:

1) Greed combined with open consoles. The main thing leading to the crash was the cesspool of crappy games that existed because anyone could make a game for a console. Ever since the NES, though, devs have to license games. Charging a fee upfront at least takes some form of commitment from the devs.

2) Communication. Back then video games were a niche and there was no internet or easily accessible reviews and media for games so a lot of times you bought games blind. Nowadays a lot more people play games so it's likely you know a few people you can ask about a game and there's tons of access to reviews, videos, forums, etc so you know what you're getting into.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#43vega2505Posted 9/30/2013 5:23:53 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Lets see: a game like GTA 5 costs ~ U$ 200,000 to make. Then it makes U$1,000,000,000 from sales IN A WEEK.

Yup, I see the gaming crash happening soon. :p

Seriously though, gaming has been almost as strong as Hollywood nowdays; We now have MANY gaming companies, and they are being more careful when creating their games. While we ARE still getting some crappy games, there are more good games than crappy ones.

We have Steam and Origin making PC gaming more accessible, games are now a LOT cheaper than they where in the early '80, the companies doing consoles now have more control in what gets released in their machines, etc. And now, companies actually do invest millions of dollars when creating their games. Gaming is just too strong, too many people are now involved in this market.

Also, It should be noted that 1983 was not a GAMING crash. It was more like a CONSOLE CRASH. PC gaming didn't really suffered anything from this crash, and was in fact getting some neat games every year.

I'd say we're getting less crappy games and instead more mediocre ones...there used to be a lot more great games, but also more crappy ones...either can happen when developers take risks...the problem today is no one takes risks so everything ends up just being meh in the end except for the few great games.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#44Gojak_v3Posted 9/30/2013 5:26:19 PM
(Adults aren't the majority of gamers.)

Actually I think they are. The average age of a gamer is 37 years old.
#45Tyranius2Posted 9/30/2013 5:27:13 PM
Lets see: a game like GTA 5 costs ~ U$ 200,000 to make. Then it makes U$1,000,000,000 from sales IN A WEEK.

That's one game. There aren't a lot of games that had such a profitable release.

I'd say it's quite possible. When a game sells 3 million units and is still considered a blunder, you know something's wrong.

Games costing hundreds of millions nowadays [AAA only] just add weight to the theory.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#46Tyranius2Posted 9/30/2013 5:29:06 PM
cuteboi100 posted...
Knight2520 posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
They are bigger than movies now.

They're not quite that big, but they're not small either.

Not that big? When was the last time you saw a movie make $800m on its first day?

I'm glad every game out there is GTA
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#47DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/30/2013 5:29:07 PM
No, because it's not 1983.
On the other hand, the gaming crash of 2015...
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#48strongo9Posted 9/30/2013 5:32:37 PM(edited)
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

Can you be any dumber? Origin is not better than Steam and Nintendo will never drop put of the console market.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#49anonymous46773Posted 9/30/2013 5:31:47 PM
It could very well start hurting a lot years from now, but nowhere near crash level. The medium has grown too large for that.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#5030aught6Posted 9/30/2013 5:34:31 PM
Games are pretty crash-proof these days.
Even with the economic downturn the industry as a whole did pretty well.

The amount of entertainment gamers can get out of a single title can't be matched by any other industry, dollar for dollar.

The Rift or other VR tech could finally catch on in the near future and could be a huge boon to the industry, but I'm biased because I hope it becomes wildly successful.