This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

30 years on, do you think the Gaming crash of 1983 could happen again?

#51DerPancakePosted 9/30/2013 5:39:11 PM
strongo9 posted...
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

Can you be any dumber? Origin is not better than Steam and Nintendo will never drop put of the console market.

DerPancake posted...

The WiiU is destined to fail. Android devices destroy the 3DS in sales, so its pretty obvious Nintendo's next handheld will not be successful. Nintendo lost the casual market, and its losing third party companies as well. So how do I not understand finance, yes the Wii brought them lots of money and right now their handhelds are doing good, but doesn't mean it will last.

Also regarding Origin and Steam. Origin uses less system resources and gives you faster dowlonads if you have everything setup correctly, its just missing the games.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#52TheMisfitPosted 9/30/2013 5:43:20 PM
The gaming industry is a monster now, no crash will happen ever again.

The crash of 1983 was because of bad business decisions by Atari and it only had an effect on North America, since Atari dominated the market share there. In Japan and other parts of the world, gaming was booming. The Famicom, MSX and Sega's SG-1000 were all released in 1983 and were all incredibly successful.

A crash is not possible. Companies can die...games will live on.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#53LucstedPosted 9/30/2013 5:46:39 PM
I think that the gaming crash is quite possible, especially how big name companies are slowly falling off.

Lets take Capcom for example, hate all you want but they did do something right at one point of their time. Capcom was a wealthy company and made games left and right, but look at them now. With oversized budgets and expectations, Capcom has roughly 150 or so million dollars left, meaning they only have enough money to make three to four games.

TL;DR : Capcom now is basically going bankrupt unless they make a hit with their next game

Sure Capcom kind of messed up on their part, firing their best devs, DLCs on all of their new products, and such, but my point is if a big contender like Capcom can go on the verge of bankruptcy, other companies can too.
#54Tyranius2Posted 9/30/2013 5:48:19 PM
DerPancake posted...
strongo9 posted...
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

Can you be any dumber? Origin is not better than Steam and Nintendo will never drop put of the console market.

DerPancake posted...

The WiiU is destined to fail. Android devices destroy the 3DS in sales, so its pretty obvious Nintendo's next handheld will not be successful. Nintendo lost the casual market, and its losing third party companies as well. So how do I not understand finance, yes the Wii brought them lots of money and right now their handhelds are doing good, but doesn't mean it will last.

Also regarding Origin and Steam. Origin uses less system resources and gives you faster dowlonads if you have everything setup correctly, its just missing the games.

Speak for yourself
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#55TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/30/2013 5:51:34 PM
Gojak_v3 posted...
(Adults aren't the majority of gamers.)

Actually I think they are. The average age of a gamer is 37 years old.

Source? How do we know that this statistic doesn't include the 77-year-old businessman or politician who plays poker or FarmVille on their phone every once in a while?
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#56kobalobasileusPosted 9/30/2013 5:53:56 PM
DarkGam3r posted...
For as long as parents give games to children, a crash won't happen. (Adults aren't the majority of gamers.)

Once kids' games reach an all time low, word will spread that videogames don't deliver what they promise; fun.

The sad thing is, kids DON'T actually want games that deliver fun. They want games that are "edgy" and offer a lot of potentially offensive content that their parents will never see because their parents don't understand how game machines work. Hence the rabid obsession with GTA and CoD by children who aren't quite old enough to buy them legally.

Once the oblivious parents age out and are replaced entirely by parents that grew up gaming themselves, kids will perceive games as something boring and dumb that their parents do. It will no longer be "cool" or appeal to the youthful demographic, and sales will fall.

The AAA structure is unsustainable. I look forward to the day it implodes upon itself leaving nothing but Indies to pick up the pieces.
#57SilentS89Posted 9/30/2013 5:59:06 PM
Binba442 posted...
...but I think it's too big to sink.

So, the government will bail them out?
#58Zork_WeskerPosted 9/30/2013 6:06:01 PM
Wow people are overwhelmingly confident/optimistic.

Here's the thing, a crash like what happened in 1983 will not happen again. But that doesn't mean nothing bad won't happen or the industry won't take any significant hits. For instance like a few others have stated this multi million dollar Triple A development model isn't going to last forever. Most people just gloss over the points people are bringing up about how a lot of games are considered failures under this model, games like Resident Evil 6 and Tomb Raider which sold very well. Like someone else said, not every game is GTA5, and you cannot hold every game to that standard. If that's the case then yes, this industry will collapse in on it's self once again.

But besides the point, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the upcoming console generation, investors, retailers, and gamers. We're not going to hit the numbers we hit in this current gen that's coming to an end. But by all means, if we do or surpass them I'm wrong. I don't really feel that way though.

Also to clear up that whole average gamer age thing.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/

Kids aren't the majority. I think a lot of people forget that a few generations of people have grown up and become adults that continue to game.
#59firedrakesPosted 9/30/2013 6:09:03 PM
issue is content lock on disc that you have to buy again to use it
#60TomoEK9Posted 9/30/2013 6:15:02 PM
My friend keeps saying the industry is on the verge of collapse. He feels that with a lot of the bigger companies making games that can't seem to turn a profit and companies starting to lose more and more money, its on its way down.